Incorporate Google Maps Autocomplete for addresses (1 Viewer)

Leyton01

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:59
We enter a number of addresses in our database (transcribed from paper forms) and I was wanting to speed up/increase accuracy of entry for our users.

Has anyone successfully incorporated the Google Maps (Places) Autocomplete API into their database? It would be great if the users could start typing an address and then select the correct one to have it stored in the database.

There seems to be a lot of threads about geocoding/reverse geocoding which need a single call to the API with response but not much on the Places Autocomplete API. Although it is a small company I am also not sure if each keystroke is a call to the API and would count toward the monthly limit before invoking a charge or if it is the final 'retrieval' of the compete address. (Looks like there are session options which cover this). There is no need for an image, lat/long or any other contact data to be retrieved other than the address.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:59
Not sure this Excel VBA will transfer easily into MS Access but at least it should give you an insight.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have used the Places API as part of a commercial app. UK Postal Address Finder - Mendip Data Systems
However I use it in conjunction with a postal address provider to create 'autocomplete' features such as this
1624296565467.png

Are you UK based?
If so, you could look at an evaluation version or see if one of my free apps will help you e.g. UK Postcode Address Lookup - Mendip Data Systems

The Google Maps API documentation is very good. Can I assume you've already checked this?
Place Autocomplete | Places API | Google Developers

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Those are two good articles by Bruce McPherson. Definitely worth reading

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom