Inexperienced access user trying to get an understanding of school access project (1 Viewer)

dvince86

Local time
Today, 07:16
Hi all,

I have been asked to help a friend with an access database issue as they are stumped, but if I'm honest my knowledge is no better.

The project is for a mock piece of work in a school where they are making a database for a car sales company.

They have made different queries and forms to allow them to navigate between customers and cars for sale etc.

The final aspect is to make it possible to purchase a car.

The user needs to be able to select a car (which is held in available_cars_table) and then select a customer (held in customers_table) and input that information into a 3rd table that will hold the purchased cars therefore showing which customer purchased the car, the car in 'available_cars_table' is then deleted as it is no longer available to be purchased.

I have no idea where to start with this as I am not experience in this so reaching out to the community for help.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ProgressCars.accdb
    2.7 MB · Views: 357

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:16
A good place to start is to tell us the password so we can look at the demo DB.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:16
it is not necessary to physically delete the record in available cars table,
you just "hide" them in the query.

see frmPurchase.

Attachments

• ProgressCars.accdb
    2.8 MB · Views: 343

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:16
Does the teacher's spec say specifically to delete the car from the available table or is this something the student wants to do? As arnel pointed out, deleting isn't necessary. There are other ways to handle the situation starting with properly normalizing the tables. by removing the purchased table and logging the purchase info in the inventory table. That way you have the history and you can show only unsold or sold inventory by using a parameter in the query.

We don't want to confuse the issue so we really need to know what the precise instructions were from the teacher because probably the student needs to build the app according to the spec.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:16
Agree with pat - really depends if you are building a proper dB to cater for all eventualities or just something to demonstrate some basic principles.

examples would include whether to cater for a car to be sold, returned and sold again, a customer buys more than one vehicle at different times etc

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 01:16
I have been asked to help a friend with an access database issue as they are stumped, but if I'm honest my knowledge is no better

Then tell them that. Tell them to either ask the teacher for guidance or have them create an account here and get help directly from us.

You are doing them no service by being an intermediary

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom