"Inherit Value List", "Allow Value List Edits", and "List Items Edit Form" Properties (1 Viewer)

jumnhy

Local time
Yesterday, 22:12
Hi all,

For a combobox set to a table/query for the rowsource, do the "Allow Value List Edits" and "List Items Edit Form" properties have any effect?

I have a combobox with a table as the rowsource, and somehow, the underlying table was edited, seemingly through the combobox in some way?
The bound column (ID) is the same, but that row's "Name" field used for the lookup value was cleared of the name I wanted to display.

I'm mostly trying to figure out how an end-user might have feasibly managed to delete it as there's no front end access to the underlying table.

The underlying table Vendors does not have any lookup fields, so "Inherit Value List", to my knowledge, shouldn't do anything, right?

Here are the (seemingly) relevant properties of the combobox:
1618506405683.png

Of course, the simpler explanation is that someone was poking around where they shouldn't have been in the backend of the database, but I know (or think I know) all the people in our organization who would be doing that, and none of them did.

Just trying to find out if there's a future vulnerability that I can fix on the frontend. Any insights would be much appreciated.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:12
Hi. If you're only using a Combobox on a Form, then the only value the user can change would be dictated by its Control Source property.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
See this video re List Items Edit Form --but since your graphic shows no form was identified, I don't think that is how things changed. Unless someone had access to the form/combo in design, added the form name, made the change and then deleted the property???? Highly unlikely.

jumnhy

Local time
Yeah, I think the likely scenario is that someone probably just edited the underlying lookup table directly. I just wanted to make sure that there's not some weird way to edit it through the Edit Value List without having a Edit List Form created or selected.

If I set "Allow List Edits" to No, will that have any effect when there's no form is selected?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I always set Allow List Edits to No even when I am using a table rather than a value list.
I also always set limit to list to Yes because I don't want users entering new values on the fly. That just allows them to introduce typos so my preference is to have an "admin" manage the value lists and I have forms that do that. If you want to allow the users to update the list on the fly, use the NotInList event to control it.

I've attached a mini app that I add to all my applications which is how I allow users to manage the value lists themselves. It works best if you have login forms so that you can restrict the maintenance of the lists to specific classes of user.

Attachments

• Code Table Maintenance20210204PPT.zip
    188.4 KB · Views: 535
  • Code Table Maintenance20210204PPT.zip
    188.4 KB · Views: 541

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom