Inserting a column of unmatched data (1 Viewer)

CarlSeil

Local time
Today, 03:46
Trying to figure out if it's possible to add a column of data that I don't care how to match. Basically, I need to insert some sample data into a table to replace live data for a test. So basically I have live data:

IDNameAmount
76543Venkataraman$1,200.00
76532Mattarnovy$720.23
76516Simak$1,212.13

Etcetera. And I have retrieved/generated a list of names I want to plop in there to replace:

Smith
Jones
Wilson
Peterson

So I'll basically trim the sample names to the same number of records. In the past, I think I have managed this by altering the two tables and adding an auto-increment field. Then I merge the two tables with a query that joins on the auto-increment columns. Is there a simpler way to do this without altering the tables? I obviously don't care which name goes where. I just want to end up with something that looks like:

76543Smith$1,200.00
76532Jones$720.23
76516Wilson$1,212.13

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:46
This is just me, but if I were going to write a procedure to dummy-up data, I think I would write some functions that acted on character by character in a way that completely eliminated the meaningfulness of things.

For example, replace each letter with a randomized other letter of the alpha bet, rather than coming up with fixed complete values. Just one man's opinion.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 04:46
This may be useful. I use this sometimes

That was the wrong post actually. Here was the one I was thinking from @Micron

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom