Inserting graphics in a form (1 Viewer)

F

Ferg

I am currently working on a Access database for a photographer client who is inserting pictures of his clients so that when he opens certain types of forms within the application, the picture of the client shows as part of the form. He has installed Office 97 Professional and chosen all the graphic filters, however he is having a problem with file types other than .bmp. Basically what happens is that when he opens the form and selects a client where he has inserted a picture, if it is not .bmp type, all that shows is the file icon and he must right click on it and choose "activate" to open the picture in a seperate window. Is this normal? I am told by others who have experience working with graphic files in Access, that this is how it works. This is not an area that I am familiar with and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Bru

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:55
I haven't found that problem. I just tried this in 97. I created a simple table, ID, description and OLE object fields.
In the table, I right clicked the OLE entry, inserted OLE object from file, and selected a jpeg image. The entry in the table came up as Microsoft Photo Editor 3.0. It may be in what access is using for the photo editor, and cant create an assosiation on its own.

The table was run thru a query, and a form from the query, it worked fine, just keep in mind the picture mode for the pic field.

Maybe Ill try this on some other machines.
Bru.

Bru

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, just one more thing,

Make sure the display type property of the image control is Content and not Icon, and the update option is set to automatic. The Ole type allowed should be Either or Linked.
Bru

jfi

Registered User.
Local time
I'm having this same problem. bitmaps work fine but jpegs will not.

here's something really weird. I used the example code from Microsoft's page, in the Northwind database and everything, (ACC: How to Display Image in Form Without Storing It in Table) and it worked with jpegs just great... while I still had the database open. After I closed it and opened it back up it ceased to display jpeg images. If anyone has figured out why this sort of thing goes on I'd love to hear about it.

jfi

Registered User.
Local time
The problem seems to be that Internet Explorer has taken over all my picture types except for .bmp Now I guess I just have to figure out how to associate everything with the Microsoft Photo Editor or something else.

Thanks a lot for your help

G

GymBeef

I created a database which kept track of pictures associated with files kind of like what you are trying to do. I had a great deal of problem however, using OLE links for various reasons.

A better way for me was to not use that kind of linking at all. What I did instead was use the Image capability of forms. Imaging is usually used to include a logo or background image on a form but it can be used for the kind of data review you want to do too.

What I did was create a form with an image area that was simply re-painted whenever the record changed. Fields in the record contained information on filename and directory location, as well as other identifiers (e.g. customer, location, date, etc.) and when the record was changed, the VBA would go out, find the associated graphics files and repaint that area with that picture. It works for virtually every graphic type out there, and doesn't depend on any "parent" program issues like OLE often does.

My form even had a "explorer-like" drop-down window for selecting the file you wanted to associate with that record.

I can send you my entire database and forms if you want to see how I did it. I just have to warn you, i'm going out of town and won't be able to send it until after 3.1.00.

jfi

Registered User.
Local time
wow, that'd be really great.

Even when not inserting the picture directly into the database problems exist. I tried just using the file name in a field and changing the source picture of an image box to the current file name. It'd still just be a blank in the frame where the picture should go if it's not a .bmp.

But I DID solve the problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled the .jpg graphics filter for office along with the MS Photo Editor.

This required me to basically uninstall and reinstall nearly the whole darn thing (everything but Outlook) because so much stuff uses those graphics filters, but the end result was success. Now jpegs are associated with the photo editor instead of IE and I have no problems either inserting the pictures directly into the database or linking to them using the file name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom