Insomnia? Articles to Help You Sleep. (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 11:39

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:39
If I really wanted to sleep, I would simply turn to the Golf channel and catch some tournament re-run. (I'm serious.)

On a rainy Sunday when I can't go for my walk or do any yard word, my preference is to turn on the big-screen TV with the sound low but not off. Then turn on the golf coverage and lie down on the sofa. It's a perfect time to take a nap. The announcers always speak in hushed voices. The gallery always uses that polite little "golf clap." They frequently include ambient outdoor noises if the weather is good. And if anyone hits a shot that truly makes the crowd roar, you can wake up to see it because they'll replay the damned thing five or six times from every angle they've got. After which the commentators start up with the hushed voices again and the snooze cycle resumes.

Saphirah

Local time
Today, 17:39
Actually i never had any problems sleeping. When i was younger i trained my brain to go into shutdown mode whenever i enter my bed.
Basically you need to focus on not thinking anything whenever you lay down. After a while you will do it automatically.
Of cause "not thinking" is impossible. But you can supress the voice in your head to be really quiet, so quiet that you won't even notice it most of the time.
With this i usually sleep after 30 seconds.

For some people this might be impossible at first, because their brain is highly active. My mom had quite some problems with that.
Starting meditation helped her a ton.

At the end this all comes down to training. You will need a lot of mental focus at the beginning, but it will become easier, the more you start doing it!
I know this was a really rough description though, so feel free to google that :)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:39
If I really wanted to sleep, I would simply turn to the Golf channel and catch some tournament re-run. (I'm serious.)

On a rainy Sunday when I can't go for my walk or do any yard word, my preference is to turn on the big-screen TV with the sound low but not off. Then turn on the golf coverage and lie down on the sofa. It's a perfect time to take a nap. The announcers always speak in hushed voices. The gallery always uses that polite little "golf clap." They frequently include ambient outdoor noises if the weather is good. And if anyone hits a shot that truly makes the crowd roar, you can wake up to see it because they'll replay the damned thing five or six times from every angle they've got. After which the commentators start up with the hushed voices again and the snooze cycle resumes.
That's funny. It sounds like the 'quiet version' of how funny I view football (American). The announcers yelling and yelling uncontrollably while people with shoulder pads like my Mom used to wear mill around, running 5-10 feet every few minutes and then all falling down. They say a ball is involved but you don't see it very often, and not even then unless your vision is very good and can catch very quick movements. Reminds me a little of my toddler's tumbling class.

Now that would be for waking up of course due to the announcers.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 10:39
hey man, don't knock the golf channel! I happen to like watching golf. I wonder if anyone could've guessed that...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
They say a ball is involved but you don't see it very often, and not even then unless your vision is very good and can catch very quick movements.
The average about of actual ball movement in 1 hour of playing time is 12 minutes...funny if you think about it.

Even so, I love to watch the game. I played a little in high school - I was too slow to be a runner or receiver but I was good at knocking people down or getting in the way so they kept me in the trenches.

I recovered a fumble once so I guess I had my glory day...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
But you can supress the voice in your head to be really quiet, so quiet that you won't even notice it most of the time.
I use a trick I learned from reading about the Memory Palace. I will either store or retrieve stuff and it usually puts me right out. I rarely have issues sleeping, being a farmer's son and 22+ years in the service forced me to sleep whenever I could!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I use a trick I learned from reading about the Memory Palace. I will either store or retrieve stuff and it usually puts me right out. I rarely have issues sleeping, being a farmer's son and 22+ years in the service forced me to sleep whenever I could!
That's probably healthy for your brain too.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
When I can't sleep I read the Bible I get a few pages in, and that ole sandman comes a-knocking.

I really like NG's Memory Palace Idea very cool.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
When I was in college, I was required to read some early American literature (John Smith and The Courtship of Miles Standish comes to mind). Put me to sleep real quick.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
My favorite American literature is the "short stories" genre, which I remember enjoying quite a bit, especially with the imagination of a 12 year old and without the presence of a television or video games, I did enjoy books more for sure. Some were too dry, and one (I can't remember who it is right now) - has a REALLY weird way of writing that's absolutely exhausting to get through - it's like trying to mix cement with your eyelashes. Maybe Faulkner? Can't remember.

Then there was one (not American) that I thought I'd read just to be able to tell people I'd read it: War and Peace. I put a lot of effort into the first 50-75 pages, then realized I had nowhere near the discipline it was going to take to continue...

But I enjoyed Dickens, Poe, Twain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom