Intranet Smartphone ACCESS query (1 Viewer)

bxdobs

Local time
Today, 06:06
With all the options out there, can't seem to focus on a simple solution that doesn't have any ongoing costs attached either for tools or services ... needing to have smartphones (android or ios using html) be able to go to a local intranet web page and display a simple canned status query (db content is in constant state of flux). not looking for a cloud solution as this is a local requirement (INTRANET ONLY) ... visual studio 2017./19 might offer a solution but there are so many options I haven't been able to find a path through the forest (built stand alone apps in Visual 2008 which was easy to navigate this new generation of Visual has become unwieldy) ... XAMPP (running apache) provides php, java. Wordpress and or many other options. Ubuntu in a VM might work with an odbc connection via an apache web service ... azure and or sharepoint sound like they are cloud based and or requiring subscriptions from ms ... I have already built and tested the query now needing the appropriate tool to build the html page plus decide how to deploy on the local network.

Suggestions of where I might start would greatly be appreciated ... over 30 years of diverse programming experience just looking for a clear direction

Thanks in advance

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
For local intranet only, have you also considered using remote desktop app?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 13:06
I'm sorry but having read your post three times I haven't a clue what you actually do want to do and why.
Rather than give a long list of possible technologies and their weaknesses, please explain what you are actually trying to do.

bxdobs

Local time
have job board scheduler running in access and just want the workers to be able to look at their phone to find their next task in priority ... I have a query that creates a list ... now need some web style service that can create an HTML rendering

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thank you. Perfectly clear this time.

As you are probably aware, Access is only available on the Windows platform and the Web version is no longer available.
Although Access will run on a tablet, it won't run on a phone, not even a Windows phone.

So you need a different solution such as a mobile friendly Website powered by something like Azure or SQL Server to store the data,
Unfortunately, I have no experience of doing this so am unable to provide guidance in the processes involved.

Hopefully others will read this and be able to assist now that your needs are clear.
Good luck with your project.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:06
have you tried Longtion Database builder?

Dreamweaver

Local time
If all you want is there next job then there may be a way but not sure.

you could use email when a user finishes their current job they email a completion which would be picked up with some automation code with outlook the message is a formated message which your automation code can parser then take the relivent actions then sent a message with the users next job.

I seem to remember doing something like this more years ago than I wish to remembers lol

bxdobs

Local time
I built something similar to this a few years back but involved painstaking/manual coding/debugging ... created a jquery for a WP page which in turn called, using ajax methods, a server side php script passing along client inputs ... the php script did a db query plus some calculations but only returned the client a calculated value, not a list .

As stated in a previous post, XAMPP (Bitnami) provides a local version of Wordpress that works well in an intranet scenario ... so this isn't out of the realm of possibilities ... just thinking that having to use Wordpress would be overkill in this scenario ... was thinking that Tomcat with java or php should be able to do this ... but again, was hoping to find some free dev tools to pull this all together without having to again resort to manually coding in an area of tech I haven't spent enough time in

To use MySql, the existing Access app would have to update mysql via an odbc connection upon any changes. The web page, when called, would then just have to list the current state of the MySql data. All local, no third party email, which IMHO, leads to confusion due to having multiple emails with different information plus waists time with having users do email management (deleting numerous unnecessary emails)

Was hoping that there would be something in Visual that could natively connect to ACCESS and provide a local intranet .net or other method of listing this query via a Browser on Android or IOS or another unlicensed (MS OFFICE) PC/laptop/tablet.

Certain that Visual VB 2008 had methods that allowed directly querying ACCESS data but within Visual 17/19 not seeing how to take that to a web server app without using azure or share point. Perhaps there is a way but as stated, there are sooooo many options in these later Visual tools it is easy to get lost in the forest.

bxdobs

Local time
OK So here is a Simple Solution:
- xampp with: apache & php
- set odbc connection to the access db file mdb or accdb
- create index.php file in the apache htdocs folder

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<?php

if(isset($_GET["Param"])) {
$p=$_GET["Param"];
}
else
{
$p="%";
}

$conn=odbc_connect('odbc access connection','','');
$sql = "SELECT top 10 * FROM sometable WHERE somefield LIKE ;".$p."'";

$rs = odbc_exec($conn, $sql);

echo "<h1> Title </h1>";
echo "<h2> Field1 Field2 </h2>";

while($result = odbc_fetch_row($rs))
{
echo odbc_result($rs,1)." ".odbc_result($rs,2)."<br />";
}

odbc_close($conn);
?>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache provides an intranet link

localhost/index.php?Param=blah

or

<localip>/index.php?Param=blah

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 21:06
download and check Longtion Database/application builder.
i would think it will fulfill your requirement.
but it can only open .mdb and not the new .accdb.

bxdobs

Local time
Thanks, I did download/install/try Longtion ... spent a few hours with the examples ... although it looks like it may have potential, for me, it didn't provide a simple solution ... PLUS $$$ ... the KISS approach I posted above does all I needed with the only cost being my time ... was hoping to find a tool to do this

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom