Introduction (1 Viewer)

Sha

Local time
Today, 15:51
Hi Access Experts!. I am Shane, a new Access fan. I do Accounting works in a small manufacturing firm and am currently using Access for processing checks and recording of expenses. I like using Access over Excel to store both Financial and Non-financial data. I like it that it can be more systematic to enter transactions by access forms and automatically update linked accounts in just one click. I also like storing all the data in one Access file rather than storing it in different Excel Worbooks. I also noticed it loads faster than excel especially since I use complex formulas and a little bit of vba codes in Excel to automate repetitive task. Given the large amount of data and formulas, Excel seems to take too long too update or even do not respond. I am currently learning how to create simple Accounting systems in Access by watching Youtube tutorials. I am very interested to learn VBA. I have so much more to learn and I hope you can guide me through it. Cheers!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:51
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 08:51
I just use Quicken. :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:51
Hello, Shane, and welcome to the forum.

One thing you should appreciate (and Gasman has offered an immediate case of it) is that we often talk about "the right tool for the right job." Unless you have some really unique requirements, commercially available packages for businesses can do a bang-up job. Granted, cost might seem to be an issue, but if you factor in your hourly labor costs burdened by overhead expenses, it wouldn't take you very long to account for quite a few copies of Quicken or some other package.

Don't get me wrong, though... If this is an "on your own" project or if your hourly salary is not the issue but customization IS an issue, then you can probably use Access to do quite a lot towards building an accounting system.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:51
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 00:51
Welcome Shane! Just keep in mind sometimes the "slowness" is due to the way something is designed rather than the tool.
As you learn Access & VBA strive for the best and most efficient way because there will often be a worse way that seemingly beckons.
Enjoy the journey

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom