iPad sucks for PC users (1 Viewer)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 18:48
I think you're still missing the point. If somebody out there is touting it as a 'Serious computing tool' I've missed it. And I'm not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, just that it does a handful of things really well IMHO. And when you couple these together it's worth the money. Like the battery life thing. If I want to use my laptop in a remote location to do something simple like getting on the net I have to check and see if there is enough battery life or will I have to plug it in. Usually I don't even want to worry about the battery and just plug it in. That doesn't sound like much until you find yourself constantly saying nah, I don't feel like dragging it all out. Funny how it even get's compared to a laptops...

I don't consider my netbook a laptop by any means. It's much more portable than a laptop. And my battery life is also superb, if I'm hammering away at it all day long I can still go more than a day between charges. With just casual web surfing and other stuff I can go more than a week between charges. And I can still do more with it than the iPad and it costs less. :) Like I said, it's your money. If you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I can do pretty much anything I need to do as you describe, and then some, on my phone even, including more than one thing at once if I desire, without pulling out my laptop or shelling out as much as the ipad costs. ;)

It even has a touchscreen lol.

So can I! I love my new phone...and it has a touch screen too. ;)

Maybe, but reading a book on it would suck!

I wouldn't want to read a book on the iPad either. That's what the big argument is between the e-readers and the Apple fans, that the iPad is better than a Kindle for reading. I've never used a Kindle, but I can sure see the argument about reading on a device that's backlit, like the iPad or a PC. I would prefer using actual books, but if I had my choice between reading on an iPad, netbook, etc. or something that uses e-ink (or whatever it's called) like the Kindle and other e-readers, I'm betting that the e-readers would cause less eye strain. I don't have time for reading anyway, so for me it's a moot point right now. :)

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 16:48
I don't consider my netbook a laptop by any means. It's much more portable than a laptop. And my battery life is also superb, if I'm hammering away at it all day long I can still go more than a day between charges. With just casual web surfing and other stuff I can go more than a week between charges. And I can still do more with it than the iPad and it costs less. :) Like I said, it's your money. If you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

I'm with you on that one. My netbook will last 8 hours for me and that is with Win7 1Gb RAM, 160 GB hard drive and I have it loaded with software (Office 2010, SQL Server 2008, Visual Studio 2008 and 2010, etc.)

Great for being on the bus and all. I don't think I could handle being able to do only one thing and not multi-task. :)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I'm with you on that one. My netbook will last 8 hours for me and that is with Win7 1Gb RAM, 160 GB hard drive and I have it loaded with software (Office 2010, SQL Server 2008, Visual Studio 2008 and 2010, etc.)

Great for being on the bus and all. I don't think I could handle being able to do only one thing and not multi-task. :)

I don't have SQL Server or Visual Studio on mine (yet) but I do have Office 2007, and in a pinch I have used my netbook to VPN to my office and work off of it. I tend to be a multi-tasker too. :)

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 19:48
I tend to think of this as more of a "better than a kindle" type deal.... rather than "less than a laptop" type thing.

I think that is a better comparsion. A color kindle that you can do the net on and some other simple apps...

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I think that is a better comparsion. A color kindle that you can do the net on and some other simple apps...

And if that's how they were advertising it (and pricing it) I probably wouldn't have an argument with it at all. :)

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time

Yeah, Although I hear the "nook" by Barnes & Noble is supposed to be pretty good too. Although still just for books, no internet capabilities.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 16:48
Well, if iPad users are happy with them, then that's all that really matters. It still doesn't change the fact that many of us just can't understand paying $700 for something with so limited capabilities where I could get almost 4 of my netbooks (for what I paid for mine) and have so much more capability. Just doesn't "compute." :D

KenHigg

Local time
Yeah, Although I hear the "nook" by Barnes & Noble is supposed to be pretty good too. Although still just for books, no internet capabilities.

A girl at work just bought a nook and it's pretty neat. Amazing how you can have title in hand in minutes and then have it with you anywhere you go. They have a lot of classics for free in the ebook library....

KenHigg

Local time

What kind of net book is it? I'm considering one to load SAP on. I'm thinking ssd will work and that it should have longer battery life - ?

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
What kind of net book is it? I'm considering one to load SAP on. I'm thinking ssd will work and that it should have longer battery life - ?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Mine is an Asus Eee PC, I believe the model number is 1005HAB. Like this one, except mine is kind of maroon in color. It came with a battery that is a little more juiced up than the basic one also, so I can use it longer. My hubby bought it for me for Christmas and I've been totally happy with it. Hope this answers your questions...

KenHigg

Local time
I wonder how you get a juiced up battery, the specs on the link says 3+ hours...?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I wonder how you get a juiced up battery, the specs on the link says 3+ hours...?

You can buy batteries that last longer. ;)

And 3+ hours is with continuous use of the average user. It can be placed into hybernation when not in use, making the battery life much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom