Is Amazon hiding its books? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:47
In the UK, to get to the Books category, you just click the 3 lines at the top left of the site, choose Books & Audible > Books. But in the US, I try the same thing and I can't find the Books category anywhere! What is going on? Are they hiding their books over there so you always buy Kindle versions?

deletedT

Local time
I never go through the menu.
I change the category of the search box to Books, then click the search button (leaving the search box empty)
It takes me to the top books section.

2020-05-08_18-45-55.jpg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for that. I will do it that way. Seems a bit odd that UK would have a clearly labeled Books category but the US site doesn't. After all, it is supposed to list all the Amazon categories there.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:47
If I click on the 3 lines in the upper left corner "Books and Audible" is one of the choices.

1588946378867.png

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If it's relevant I should add that at the time, I was logged in as an Amazon Prime member.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am not logged in and this is what I see:

1588946785025.png

deletedT

Local time
What do you have if you click Books & Audible? A free account gives a menu full of kindles only.

2020-05-08_23-07-05.jpg

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Same for me Tera. Seems daft.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 02:47
There is an element of truth to "hiding" content. There is a seller "tension" between really defining valid concrete categories, such as books, and using vague ambiguous interpretations of the word "books". On one hand, Amazon wants the customer to easily find a product, yet on the other hand they want to throw as many products at the customer as possible hoping that it will either spark their interest in that irrelevant product or that the customer will simply make a mistake and unintentionally buy that product.

When looking at the movies available on Amazon, they are not exactly upfront about identifying which movies are available for free as a member of Amazon Prime or which movies you have to pay for. And along those lines, Rotten Tomatoes, identifies movies that are now available on Amazon. Sounds good, but it seems all those movies you have to pay for. Clearly, Rotten Tomatoes could, if they wanted to, could identify which movies are "free" and which aren't.

Continuing with my rant, on a larger scale. The capability to instantly manufacture (fake) webpages is absolutely astounding. Recently, we had to buy a new clothes washer. I thought that I went to the webpage for our local Lowes Home Improvement store. As I was looking at the webpage, it just didn't seem quite right. After a while, I realized that it was not the real stores website.

A while back I was trying to find some batteries by providing an actual product number. A lot of hits were generated, but then I went to check out the availability of the batteries for purchase, they did not actually have them.

In another case, can't remember the product. I had a variety of tabs open. On one site the product was listed at $x. On another tab after following several links, I arrived at the same product. This time the price was $x + y. So depending on how you arrive at a particular webpage, the price of the product can change. This is very scary.

deletedT

Local time
When looking at the movies available on Amazon, they are not exactly upfront about identifying which movies are available for free as a member of Amazon Prime or which movies you have to pay for.

@Steve R. Here, we exactly can identify which movies are free for prime and which is not. There's a prime mark on free movies. Is it different for you?

2020-05-08_23-23-34.jpg

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
In another case, can't remember the product. I had a variety of tabs open. On one site the product was listed at $x. On another tab after following several links, I arrived at the same product. This time the price was $x + y. So depending on how you arrive at a particular webpage, the price of the product can change. This is very scary.
The pricing for items can vary widely depending on the device used. People have complained that laptop users do not get the same pricing breaks as smartphones. So is there a built in bias?

deletedT

Local time

Were both tabs from the same shop? I've seen different shops offer the same product with different prices. You may have been accessing two different shops. I've been using Amazon Prime from day 1, and never have experienced what you're describing.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Were both tabs from the same shop? I've seen different shops offer the same product with different prices. You may have been accessing two different shops. I've been using Amazon Prime from day 1, and never have experienced what you're describing.
A valid possibility. Time has passed, but I suspect that I would have made that determination based on the URL. So if the URLs are the same, then I doubt it would be a "different shops". Again, I can't remember how closely I inspected the URLs to verify that they were totally identical. In seeing two different prices, I would have been immediately aggravated. In response, I would have then quickly dismissed that website and moved-on.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@Steve R. Here, we exactly can identify which movies are free for prime and which is not. There's a prime mark on free movies. Is it different for you?

View attachment 81951
What you show, is valid. However, along the theme of this thread, sometimes trying to isolate your search for only Amazon Prime takes a bit of work.

@pbaldy just noted:
I get different choices when I'm logged in vs not, but both still show actual books.

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am not logged in and this is what I see:

I remoted into a work computer that I hadn't logged into Amazon on; that option is still there. I wonder if it's because you're out of the country?

1588949982619.png

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What do you have if you click Books & Audible? A free account gives a menu full of kindles only.
I get different choices when I'm logged in vs not, but both still show actual books.

1588950232190.png

1588950292887.png

Attachments

• 1588950203394.png
    1588950203394.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 97

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Regarding different prices, remember that there are huge numbers of 3rd party sellers on Amazon, like myself. They can sell the same product on their own listing. They are trying to reduce them to the same listing nowadays, but sometimes the seller will add the product with a different package, like different quantity and so have their own listing.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:47
I solved the problem another way. I don't buy anything from Amazon. If I want a movie I go to WalMart and look in the cheapie rack where I can get some pretty good movies for US$5.00 - and in some cases US$3.75 - as long as I am patient.

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom