Is it possible to learn House Building on our own? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 23:05
What a fast research. :)
Less than 10 min.

Well..... it's your time and money. I wish the best for you.
Thanks for the wishes. I chose AutoCAD Because a Little Known Devil is Better than an Unknown New Angel.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:35
AutoCAD is also monstrously expensive at least here in the UK.
All the proper design programs have huge learning curves from my brief look at them.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
AutoCAD is also monstrously expensive at least here in the UK.
All the proper design programs have huge learning curves from my brief look at them.
As my friend is a Civil Engineer by Profession. He is having it. Decided to go only for small Design progams initially. Luckily my father hasn't built a Big House thus easy to study and input.

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 18:35
Hi Cots,
Thank you very much for your Detailed reply. Let me explain my requirements here and my primary and secondary objectives of this venture.
  1. I wanna learn AutoCAD as VBA is present over there.
  2. There is a Demand for persons having VBA Knowledge with AutoCAD in my State.
  3. I wanna learn AutoCAD from a very long time.
  4. We have two houses partialy built and leftover by my father.
  5. I wanna learn to bring those 2 houses inside my computer and construct in the best possible way virtually.
  6. The House in which I and my wife stays is very small and junked by various furnitures and Gadgets.
  7. I wanna Decorate it and having plans to put a Oven in one of the walls.
  8. And the list goes gaga...
Methinks you're really on the wrong forum. There isn't just AutoCad, which isn't license free, there are others. As far as the building aspect, maybe look for something with Self-Build or Building in the forum name may well serve you better?

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
My First AUTOCAD.jpg

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Need to Build the same. But virtually!

Got it from my favourite childhood friend. He is an Engineering Assistant to a Civil Engineer. Luckily He is also very interested to learn the AutoCAD. We are planning to sit every Sunday.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Some posts are missing on this thread especially about book suggestions. Does our site remove certain posts from threads? please confirm.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:35
In reviewing the thread from a moderator viewpoint, it does not appear that any posts were removed from view i.e. hidden. Which means if any WERE removed, they were removed permanently. That, I cannot tell.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 13:35
A lot of opinions here, hopefully mine wont get lost in the mix. I designed houses using AutoCAD, and then AutoCAD Architecture from 1986 to 2020. In 2020 I switched to Chief Architect after several months of researching various Cad programs. They have a a DIY version called Home Designer Pro that is more than you would need to design your own home. It's easy to learn (all Cad has a steep learning curve), creates great 3d renderings and is over all one of the best values in the industry.

Since 2004 I have been writing software to manage the entire building process from Design all the way to completion and move in. It works seamlessly with Chief Architect Products.

Local time
Dear prabha,
Learning House Building is not too difficult. I advice you to involve yourself in construction sites if you want to learn the proper way. Then you can ask the workers, architects and engineers, which will be very valuable as they have hands-on experience on what you want to do. I do not know exactly which one of the many trades of the industry you want to learn, but if it's the drawing and building trades, then:

Learning AutoCAD first will be a fantastic choice. Ask your civil engineer friend for some architecture plans that you can re-draw on your own so that you begin to familiarize yourself with the software, it's preferable if the thing is already built so that you can compare the drawing with the built thing and realize how things are represented. Doing that will be amazingly valuable in your learning path.

Now, AutoCAD has a lot of features, but you don't see the workers using AutoCAD in the field, they use the printed-on-paper design/plan/blueprint, whatever. That's a drawing, a technical representation of the thing to build. If you can draw that, they can build it and so can you. There are, of course, rules for this. Each place in the world has a preference of how the drawing should look and what requirements it needs in order to be build-able. For instance, if you want to build a brick wall, you don't just draw a line. You draw a pair of lines that represent the element has a particular thickness in the real world, scales are too important to disregard. You also draw the towers, the places where windows go, the places where doors will be, etc. All those have a way of being represented on paper. A drawing is, in the end, just a bunch of lines, so the main commands that you will need are L for lines, PL for polylines, C for circles, CP for copy, M for move, O for offset, TR for trim, U for undo. You can do a lot with just these commands. Now, in a plan, you will also need to draw measurements, so DLI and DAL will be your friends. LA for layer arrangement and order and PLOT for when you actually print it. Try to hide as much of the interface as you can and familiarize with commands. Professionals usually don't need interface buttons to draw with AutoCAD.

And just like that, you can now begin your journey in construction. In fact, you can draw right now the space around you. Measure it well, draw a little sketch on paper with a pencil and annotate the measurement. Then go to AutoCAD and figure out the challenges, the things you didn't consider will begin to show up as you draw them, you will likely find out things aren't perfectly squared or heights are maybe irregular, those things happen, figure out solutions and keep on learning. Sometimes an elevation isn't even necessary if you write the heights of elements, but you know, it all depends. Also, you mentioned you want to fix some houses, I don't know how much you can accomplish by drawing the fixed version in AutoCAD, but it can help with planning. Perhaps you can also do some photo manipulation, even rendering. All of those will be very good skills to have. All architects must know them and it seems to me like you want to learn architecture. You can draw architectural plans and hand them to an engineer that can help you design more specialized stuff like Structure, Piping, Electrical stuff, etc. All of those can also be represented in 2D, you can draw them as well, but they require extra sensitive knowledge where lives are at stake, so let someone else handle the danger for you. I'm just being responsible here. Still, you can find some books in any of the three fields, look for design handbooks that use your local regulations and that will take you very far.

In fact, seeing that you're looking for books, don't take just any book as guidance. Look for LOCAL handbooks of architecture and other specialties. Things don't work the same in Asia than in America. And always fact-check ChatGPT and thumb it down when it misbehaves.

Someone mentioned REVIT here, I do not recommend using REVIT because it literally adds one dimension of complexity to your understanding, you do things in 3D. Sure, it can generate aerial views, elevations and rendering, as well as calculations but it's a cluster**** of features you don't need in your learning phase. Figure out AutoCAD first. 2D drawings are easy to understand and will help you enter the industry much faster. And most of the things you see were probably done when REVIT didn't even exist, so stick to the basics for now, it will take you very far.

You mentioned you want to enter the field because VBA is needed. There is indeed demand of developers, but also consider AutoLISP, which is the language most automation tools are written with, C# dot net and JavaScript as all of these probably have more demand than VBA. Still, go ahead and try. I consider myself fortunate to have skills in both software engineering and civil engineering, but my day job is as a civil engineer, so maybe I can help if you get some hiccups.

Last edited:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Any comments on SOLIDWORKS...
Is for designing machines. You really need a purpose built software for residential design.
Home Designer Pro is one of the most popular for DIY.
One of the best general purpose CAD program would be Sketchup. Sketchup has a free version.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why GPTChat suggests fictious book names?

Even as recently as v 4.0 of GPT Chat, the owners warned people that GPT sometimes "imagines" things. Some of the code that it offers won't run. Some of the stories it creates are not true-to-fact. It doesn't have a fact-checker built-in, or if it does, it is rudimentary at best.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Even as recently as v 4.0 of GPT Chat, the owners warned people that GPT sometimes "imagines" things. Some of the code that it offers won't run. Some of the stories it creates are not true-to-fact. It doesn't have a fact-checker built-in, or if it does, it is rudimentary at best.
I think you are on the wrong thread Doc. But I complet4ely agree GPT is a balled face lier..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom