Is Space Cadets a double hoax? (1 Viewer)

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:12
After watching Space Cadets last night, it seems that the contestants have either been fooled or are at least conforming to groupthink. However there are many rumours around saying that the show is a double bluff; all the contestants are in the know, and the joke is really on the viewers. The main points of this argument are that two of the contestants have been idenitified as extras. Here's my take on it;

1. The fact two of the contestants are extras means nothing; they clearly are not actors, and I suspect a large percentage of applicants to reality tv shows have worked as extras. It will be of benefit to the production team to have people already familiar with this type of environment. However an extra IS NOT an actor. There is a huge difference.

2. The reactions of the "unwitting" contestants and Charlie, the "actor in the know" on launch were tellingly different. Its clear it is very easy to get caught up in the mood, even when you actually know the true nature of it all. The contestants looked genuinely nervous, and said things no actor playing the part of a "fooled" contestant would say.

3. Obviously, when they "come out", they are all going to say they knew all along; we all psychologically "cover ourselves" against being duped; you can see this in any playground.

4. Why bother? Its obvious they weren't going to have a hard time finding people stupid enough to believe whatever they are told. Anyone who's even glanced at a psychology textbook knows this.

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Today, 00:12
And the real answer to your question is - Who Cares?

In case you couldn't guess, I don't watch reality shows. I don't like shows that are meant to make people look like fools, so that the audience can laugh at them. That bugs the crap out of me. I don't find it remotely humorous when someone tries to pull the wool over someone's eyes, and then laughs when they actually succeed. Basically, you told me a lie, and when I believed you because you were convincing enough, you laughed at me for believing you. Is that malicious or what?

Lisa

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
While the programme is one big piece of crap - for the moment - I'm not really bothered whether it is a hoax or a "double hoax". Channel 4 has stated that it is a hoax and, for all those little idiots coming up with phrases like double hoax: a hoax is a hoax, of course, of course...

Yes, two of the people are extras: we are talking about braindead idiots whose only goal in life is to be famous and apply to every piece of "reality" shit that's going.

There's no denying it is extremely boring to watch, which may be Endemol's purpose; to see how little action or content is needed to sustain a considerable portion of the viewing population.

I'm quite happy to believe it as being a hoax on three total idiots who believe Minsk is named after a space monkey; that Uranus is a Greek god; that believed the existence of the Hazelnut cluster withouth flinching; who believe their lack of free-floating is due to being in "near space" where gravity still reigns; who have happily done space experiments consisting of playing about with balloon animals; and who stood to attention and took a drink with the following toast: "I stand before Uranus begging for admittance." :rolleyes:

It it were a further trick, which may be revealed on Friday to gasps (since it's been dull so far) then it would be that the three contestants are actors and all the actors who have wasted weeks teaching them, days training with them, and days soaring through space with them haven't realised it.

It will never be as good as the BBC's Ghostwatch in the early 90s.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
lmnop7854 said:
And the real answer to your question is - Who Cares?

No. As the OP, I can tell you the real answer is one of two;

1. Yes I think its a double hoax.

2. No I don't think its a double hoax.

lmnop7854 said:
In case you couldn't guess, I don't watch reality shows.

But you felt the need to comment on a thread about reality tv shows...

lmnop7854 said:
I don't like shows that are meant to make people look like fools, so that the audience can laugh at them. That bugs the crap out of me. I don't find it remotely humorous when someone tries to pull the wool over someone's eyes, and then laughs when they actually succeed. Basically, you told me a lie, and when I believed you because you were convincing enough, you laughed at me for believing you. Is that malicious or what?

Erm, no its not. Its harmless fun. If you don't want to be made a fool of in front of people, don't apply to go on a tv reality show!!! Simple. These people are up for anything, that was clear from the outset, and from the consent of their loved ones. I saw all these morally righteous rants on slashdot, I guess I should of expected the same.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
It will never be as good as the BBC's Ghostwatch in the early 90s.

Aaaahhh seminal tv... won't be anything like that for a long time. The BBC can't even make an "ad" with floating heads without people writing in its too scarey!

SJ McAbney said:
There's no denying it is extremely boring to watch, which may be Endemol's purpose; to see how little action or content is needed to sustain a considerable portion of the viewing population.

You seem to know what's going on though ;-) They are the shows people love to hate. I've watched most of the Big Brothers in varying amounts; I saw the begining of Celeb Love Island just to laugh at the reality of Callum Best and the other bloke doing *NOTHING* to turn it into a love fest like they boasted they would. Thats it; I'm not a "fan" of reality tv shows. However, I am very interested in psychology, and Space Cadets has this in spades (provided you can get more from the show than they feed you).

Its very easy to say the contestants are "total idoits" for believing what they are told. I disagree. When is was at University, one of our psychology lecturers told us a story about him going to London to attend a conference. A young man in a suit approached him on the tube and in an authoritative voice said "Could you open your briefcase for me sir?". It was only after it was open he actually said "Excuse me, but who are you?". The reply was "Thank you sir, I'm a psychology student doing an experiment". The point is that most people conform to "group think". These people are *not* thinking for themselves, but simply taking in what they are told and going along with it. Yes, we all like to sit there saying we would never do that, but if you applied cold hard scrutiny to yourself you will find yourself conforming to groupthink every single day to a greater or lesser extent.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
lol, my response would have been "f*ck off!" :p

Don't care who you are. :mad:

And yes, I do seem to know an awful lot about the show because I've watched the first episode and the Monday night one. ;)

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
lol, my response would have been "f*ck off!" :p

Don't care who you are. :mad:

Well being Scottish I would not call into dispute your "grit" ;-) (Hadrian's Wall and the SAS are clear contemporary/modern examples of this to anyone disputing this).

However, I still maintain that this is what everyone would say. The reality however is different (even for psychology experts). How many people every single day actually do and say what they think, regardless of what's going on around them? Very few; if they did the world would grind to a halt very quickly. What we think and what we say/how we behave are totally different things.

R

Rich

The hoax is that it's listed as entertainment in the first place:rolleyes:

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
The hoax is that it's listed as entertainment in the first place:rolleyes:

LOL I think Charlie alone has been worth the viewing. He deserves to do well from this IMHO.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Rich said:
5 minutes was all I could stand

Yes, but at your age you can't usually last long before you need a seat. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom