Is this possible: create new records based on combo box? (1 Viewer)

M Costumes

Local time
Today, 03:03
Before I even try to figure this out, I thought I'd ask if this is even possible. I'd like to create a Main form and a Sub form for managing a rental. The Main form would be based on a table of rental details (who the client is, the dates, etc.) The Sub form would be based on a rental inventory table. Both sets and individual items can be rented out. I'd like for the user to be able to select/enter the set number in a combo box on the Sub form, and it automatically generate rows/records of the individual items in that set. Is that possible without basing it on a query? I need the information to be stored, which is why I don't think I want to base the Sub form on a query. Thanks for your thoughts!

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 05:03
Probably. Seeing your tables and then an explanation of what you want to occur at a table level would help.

Most likely what you would do is have a button that when clicked would APPEND data to the table the sub form is based on, the subform would refresh and the records would appear.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:03
If a "set" is collection of items, it should always be used as a set and not broken down. But it really depends on how you manage inventory. If you inventory it as a "set", do not break it down. If you inventory it as individual parts, then you have to make sure that all components are in inventory or you can't add the set to the order. You can use the "set" as a way of adding a bunch of items at once for convenience but it makes the inventory keeping much more complex.

M Costumes

Local time
Today, 03:03
If a "set" is collection of items, it should always be used as a set and not broken down. But it really depends on how you manage inventory. If you inventory it as a "set", do not break it down. If you inventory it as individual parts, then you have to make sure that all components are in inventory or you can't add the set to the order. You can use the "set" as a way of adding a bunch of items at once for convenience but it makes the inventory keeping much more complex.
Yes, it does depend on how inventory is managed. In my case, we rent costumes. So sometimes yes, the full set gets rented out. But others, it will be broken up (for example if we own a set of 16 matching chorus costumes, but the client only needs 8). While this may not be normal in other areas, it is common practice in my industry. My thought process was that when the full set does get rented, it is much faster for my staff to just enter in the set number and have all the individual items auto-populate. But if a set is broken up, it would have to be entered individually anyway, so the point may indeed be moot. But my question was about if doing such a thing was possible--entering the set number and having the individual items/records auto-populate.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:03
In my opinion, if you rent parts, you should keep the parts in inventory. You have 16 of something. Someone rents 8 of them leaving 8 in inventory. So whether they rent 8 or 16, the difference is simply typing the quantity.

If you do it your way, how would your employees know that you no longer have 16 in stock?

If the items are serialized, meaning that each has a unique ID that you track, then you still would have to enter 8 serial numbers if you rented only part of the set so you could identify which 8 were out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom