Is this the action of a civilised country (1 Viewer)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:32
See this link for details.

IMHO it seems that Virginia does not deserve to be called a civilised state when it wants to execute a women with an IQ of 72 but does not execute the actual killers.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 05:32
I live in Virginia, I always thought that premeditated murder was cause for capital punishment, not merely the planning itself.

Even in Texas, where I came from, they don't (to my knowledge) execute anyone for less than murder.

Strange sentence, but unlikely to come to fruition. It will be held up in appeals

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time

IMHO it seems that Virginia does not deserve to be called a civilised state.

Funny, because Virginia is a wonderful place to live, I mean except for the traffic.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 02:32
I live in Virginia, I always thought that premeditated murder was cause for capital punishment, not merely the planning itself.

Even in Texas, where I came from, they don't (to my knowledge) execute anyone for less than murder.

Strange sentence, but unlikely to come to fruition. It will be held up in appeals

The appeal didn't go too well then?

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
That's hard to wrap your mind around.

In most cases I don't support capital punishement. And in this one even less.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You guys have to read more into the facts of the case. She tried unsuccessfully two other times to have her husband killed. She's pure evil and very cunning. Anyone can fake an IQ test, that doesn't prove she's not street smart. Obviously she was ultimately behind this as she was supposed to be a loving wife and mother figure, yet she wanted them dead. I'm usually against the death penalty because of issues where innocence can be proven later, but in this case, it's obvious she's guilty of the crimes against her.

But I also think the other two, or at least the actual shooter, should have been given the same sentence, but he agreed to testify against her, so his life was spared, so I can understand that. The world is safer without people like her, and with her thought process, in it.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 21:32
If we assume only the "shooter" can be executed (if that is the agreed max punishment) then an individual could plan and pay for an infinite number of murders and never be executed???
In my opinion, The planner is the real culprit and is no less guilty then the "employee" who pulled the trigger.
You see a murder on TV where a real gun is substituted for the fake in a play or movie scene.
Now the trigger person is innocent and the person who planned and did the deliberate substitution is not guilty of murder??
Surely this is the person that should get what ever the citizens of the land have agreed is the maximum penalty for murder.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
So they should just be civilized and let her go like UK did with Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi!

IMHO it seems that Virginia does not deserve to be called a civilised state when it wants to execute a women with an IQ of 72 but does not execute the actual killers.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
You guys have to read more into the facts of the case. She tried unsuccessfully two other times to have her husband killed. She's pure evil and very cunning. Anyone can fake an IQ test, that doesn't prove she's not street smart. Obviously she was ultimately behind this as she was supposed to be a loving wife and mother figure, yet she wanted them dead. I'm usually against the death penalty because of issues where innocence can be proven later, but in this case, it's obvious she's guilty of the crimes against her.
But I also think the other two, or at least the actual shooter, should have been given the same sentence, but he agreed to testify against her, so his life was spared, so I can understand that. The world is safer without people like her, and with her thought process, in it.

As a matter of fact I mistakenly thought the attempt was failed not that she succeeded. Upon further reading I completely agree with you. Normally I am opposed to the death penalty.
In this case, good riddance.
There can be no more heinous crime, than to talk your lover into killing your husband and child for insurance money.

Furthermore why is it not “civilized” to have capital punishment?

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Why do people use the term IMHO? I mean really; if your opinion is so humble than you should keep it to yourself.

People use that term when they are under the pretence of civility. In my experience the way to influence people is not to falsely acclaim humility. it is to start out with a common view point and walk down that road for a while, than as you build consensus it becomes appropriate and beneficial to redirect the conversation.

Too many people in our modern world don’t seem to understand that.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:32
Even with an IQ of 72 there would be no doubt that she understood what she was doing was immoral and illegal. Cold blooded premeditated greed driven evil. Good riddance

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Even with an IQ of 72 there would be no doubt that she understood what she was doing was immoral and illegal. Cold blooded premeditated greed driven evil. Good riddance
But the killers only got a prison sentence. Why should they get less???

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Furthermore why is it not “civilized” to have capital punishment?
Because if it turns out an eror was made you cant reverse it. Most western democracies do not have a death sentence.

Especially when the person has reduced mental facilities.

Why do people use the term IMHO? I mean really; if your opinion is so humble than you should keep it to yourself.
Sorry I keep forgetting that some of my friends on the other side of the atlantic have problems with irony.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Because if it turns out an eror was made you cant reverse it. Most western democracies do not have a death sentence.

I don't think there's any doubt that she is guilty.

Especially when the person has reduced mental facilities.

Again, lower IQ does not prove lower mental facilities in understanding right from wrong. So she can't solve quadratic equations, it doesn't mean she can't be a criminal. Half the idiot rednecks in this city that lead criminal lives probably have a lower iq than her, they should be punished just the same.

If she were a man, would people feel so against it?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:32
IMHO - depends on the iterpretation.
In My Hubristic Opinion

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time

Rabbie,
I am very confused here. Do you mean you don't think Virginia is a civilized state because it executed a woman, because it executed a woman with a relatively low IQ or because it did not execute the others as well?

If the first, you are quite the sexist, saying that only men should be executed. If the second, not only are you sexist but unusual, sayng that it is OK to execute men with an IQ of 72, but not women. If the last, then you are quite bloodthirsty. Could you clarify which of these is indeed yours?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Rabbie,
I am very confused here. Do you mean you don't think Virginia is a civilized state because it executed a woman, because it executed a woman with a relatively low IQ or because it did not execute the others as well?

If the first, you are quite the sexist, saying that only men should be executed. If the second, not only are you sexist but unusual, sayng that it is OK to execute men with an IQ of 72, but not women. If the last, then you are quite bloodthirsty. Could you clarify which of these is indeed yours?
ChipperT, to clarify what I meant for your benefit. I regard any state or country which exectutes a person (of either sex) with a very low IQ as being uncivilised. In this particular case I find it bizarre that the actual killers are being treated more leniently than the woman in the case.

I therefore reject your accusations against me. For your information I am opposed to the death penalty in all cases.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
ChipperT, to clarify what I meant for your benefit. I regard any state or country which exectutes a person (of either sex) with a very low IQ as being uncivilised. In this particular case I find it bizarre that the actual killers are being treated more leniently than the woman in the case.

I therefore reject your accusations against me. For your information I am opposed to the death penalty in all cases.

Rabbie,
Thank you for clarifying. Believe me, I understand your opinion! I also oppose the death penalty but not for the same reasons as you. Capital punishment, as it is now carried out, is neither a deterent nor punishment that fits the crime. Instead it is a farce that would be laughable were it not for the pain and frustration it causes the loved ones of the victim of the crime and it perpetrates enormous expense and frustration on society. The average time from crime to execution in the US is 19 years(not including those that are commuted to life without parole)! The average cost of the execution, including appeals, legal fees, penal housing, etc is $7.4 million! To be an effective deterent then justice must be swift and sure. I would suggest that all appeals, etc should take place within a year of sentencing. If we cannot do much much better than we have now, then by all means, abolish the death penalty.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
In Old London they used to put them in a dungeon until disease took them. Now that is justice.
As it turns out, the actual killer turned states evidence, and received a reduced sentence.

seoconsultant

Banned
Local time
Significant that he did not kill anyone. He helped the offense, but the killings have been given life. IMO, slightly oblique. Some of the body to add a story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom