Issue with 2 queries and putting a date field in a table (1 Viewer)

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:35
I have a db where I import building reports on a daily basis. The initial report has numerous fields that are filled in the first time the report is downloaded into my db. The firm I get the reports from has the same Main ID#, i.e. 201400567891 that remains the same, but the Version number changes with each update. Most of the info that is downloaded in Version 1 never changes, ie. job name, city, zip, etc. Basically only the Version #, a note field change.

What I am trying to do is take the Version 1 download and put the Publish Date for Version 1 in a field I call [1st report date]. I do this with a query that is working correctly. (Version 1 publish date.jpg)

The second query is identical to the first Query, except it takes any Version 2 report or higher and updates the fields that change. The only difference is that I have the query put the Publish Date in a different field [Rev_Date] in the same table. This query works properly as long as a report with the same Main ID# was not already in the system. In this case, the [Rev_date] field is NOT updated, however, every other field that I want changed IS updated. (revised date field worked.jpg)

Since I am just starting to download these records from this firm, not all Master ID# records are loaded with a Version 1. Some initially come into the system with a Version # of, say 2 or 3 or 4. If there is not a previous Master ID# in the system, the 2nd query WILL put the Publish Date in the [Rev_Date] field. (revised date field failed) I can tell the query worked except for the [Rev_date] update because the date of 3/10/2014 in the bottom right corner is what the [Rev_date] is supposed to be. the date was successfully imported into a second subform I use, but not the main form.

So the hang up is not what Version # is involved, the hang up is whether a record with the same Master ID# is already in my db. I have checked my table setups and nothing should be preventing it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Attachments

• Version 1 Publish Date.jpg
    Version 1 Publish Date.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 220
  • Revised date field worked.jpg
    Revised date field worked.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Revised date field failed.jpg
    Revised date field failed.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 212

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 09:35
Your data structure could have reflected your reality better. From what you describe, a Main ID corresponds to a building and its static data, whereas a Rev reflects the time-dependent data linked to some MainID. The structure that springs to mind is like an Order and OrderDetail. Each detail - line item - in order details belongs to the same order, but you can add as many line items as you like.

mkdrep

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:35
Your data structure could have reflected your reality better. From what you describe, a Main ID corresponds to a building and its static data, whereas a Rev reflects the time-dependent data linked to some MainID. The structure that springs to mind is like an Order and OrderDetail. Each detail - line item - in order details belongs to the same order, but you can add as many line items as you like.

(I read your signature line so I will tell you what I want to happen! lol)

Not sure what you are driving at with your answer. I think my data structure is pretty sound.

The table with the Main ID stays the same. Just two different update queries on the same table. 1st query updates [1st_Job_Report_Date] field in [Main_ID], Version 1 records only. 2nd query updates [Revision_Date] field in [Main_ID], Version 2 or greater records only.

[1st_Job_Report_Date] is NOT changed when I run the 2nd query.

The 1st Query works perfectly as it deals with a record that is not already in the database, so the [Main_ID] field updates.

The 2nd query only works if the [Main_ID] record is not already in the system.

If a > Version 2 report happens to be the first [Main_ID] record in the system, the second query works perfectly.

I am not sure why this is happening, because I am just updating the same [Main_ID] record with 2 different queries. Just a different date field in each query, based on what version of the record is being downloaded.

Thank you for your help.....Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom