Issue with totals text box not displaying (1 Viewer)

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Yesterday, 18:06
Hello again....

The guy I design the database for is suddenly having an issue with a totals box not displaying its contents. This text box is in the form footer of a subform.

Here is a side-by-side screen shot of when it displays and when it does not.

Notice how when the contents of the text box are not displayed that the form footer is moved up right below the detail but there is blank white space below the footer? A form footer should always be at the very bottom should it not?

Here is the subform in design view:

Please note that nothing has been changed on this form in ages and it's a hit and miss problem - of course, the worst kind.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 01:06
If it has worked for long without problems then try a "Compact & Repair".
Else create a new database and import all into it.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:06
After requesting Ur form, immediately issue me.recalc

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
I did already try compact & repair and that didn't help.

In what event of the subform would I put the recalc command?

Thanks

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:06
You could use a query as the record source for that form, and do the calculation there. Then you just display the expression on the form.

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
You could use a query as the record source for that form, and do the calculation there. Then you just display the expression on the form.

Well, I already have a query as the record source for the form but the only way I know how to calculate a total in a query is with a totals query, and that excludes each individual detail.

It seems the blank text box is more of a form malfunction than a missing value because I have even tried to populate the box with plain text and when it does not display, nothing does, regardless of the content of the text box. The form footer raised up with blank white space below it seems to indicate a problem with the displaying of the form. Since it's an intermittent problem, and I can't even get it to happen on my own computer, it's very difficult to troubleshoot. :banghead:

I might have to take the previous suggestion and create a new database and import everything.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:06
You can put me.recalc on the form current event

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 01:06
I might have to take the previous suggestion and create a new database and import everything.
I would try that first.
There are two things I remark in what you write.
.. I have even tried to populate the box with plain text and when it does not display, ..
.. and I can't even get it to happen on my own computer ..
Is it a split database - Front-/Backend database?
Do you've any code running in the form?
Could you get the guy to try the database on another computer in his place?

RichO

Registered Yoozer
Local time
Yes, it is a split database, and there is no code running in the form, at least not the subform where this is occurring. In the main form there is a lot of code.

The guy who uses this does have another computer in his wife's office but the problem is so intermittent that he could use her computer for a couple hours, and think the problem doesn't exist on her computer when it actually may. There is no pinpointing when it does and does not happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom