Its been an eventful week (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:00
Like, I hope, most of you here, I've got through the last few months quietly and healthily in relative isolation.
However a few things have gone wrong in the past week.

First of all I went down with shingles. For anyone who doesn't know it is a painful itchy rash which can appear at any time in your life if you ever had chickenpox (in my case over 60 years ago). You can't 'catch' shingles nor pass it on but I could pass on chickenpox to anyone who hasn't had it before...so I'm isolating here till the symptoms disappear. Typically up to 4 weeks but in some cases a lot longer

Yesterday evening I had a hard disk crash which has affected two drives. My main work files are corrupted and inaccessible. Sadly the other affected drive has my main backups. Whilst I have other backups I doubt I will have all recent files.

This morning I found out from reading a public thread that I had been summarily dismissed as a moderator without even being informed privately,
I'm both surprised and disappointed and don't agree with the reason given in the public thread.
I hope I can say that without being banned from the forum.
Nevertheless I'm very pleased to see both theDBGuy and theDocMan take on moderator roles. . Both will I know be excellent.

Just when I thought nothing else could happen I returned to my damaged workstation to find it was in the middle of a major Windows update. Its already taken several hours so I suspect its installing Windows version 2004. With all the recent events, I can guess how well that's likely to turn out

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:00
@isladogs

I am (and was) sorry to hear about all of those things.
(Not referring to the new moderators of course - they are certainly most welcome by me)

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:00
Darn the bad luck. Colin, I wish you luck on that disk recovery thing. I had a hard drive crash on my primary system months ago. I fortunately had at least a LOT of the files backed up. I got an SSD to replace the HDD but it crashed within 2 1/2 weeks. Took it back to the shop and they shook their heads sadly. Oh, they replaced the drive free of charge because it was one of the 0.3% of SSDs that fail within the warranty period. But I had almost gotten everything installed again just before that 2nd crash. I hope you can recover at least some of your stuff. Best of luck there, Colin.

And having had a shingles outbreak myself, I can EASILY commiserate with you. That was about 16 months ago for me. Talk about ANNOYING.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Colin,
If the shingles is bad, ultrasound will knock it out in about 4 * 10 minute sessions.
I had it years ago and the physio who treated me said I was lucky I saw a Dr who kept up on the latest treatments.

However everyone I have spoken to since who has had shingles was not aware of this treatment? :(

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, Gasman. I'll have to remember that if I have another flareup.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Paul
Ultrasound? I’d not heard of it either. Several members of my family have had it repeatedly over several decades. My sister has been getting it for over 40 years but hasn’t had ultrasound. I will investigate if the symptoms persist. When should you have the treatment. When the rash first appears or at any time?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I had like a bodybuilders back support size rash around my waist at the back.
A friend who'd also has shingles previously said 'Oh you will be off work for a while with that'.
I had 4 sessions in the local hospital here in Swansea. I was working in Bristol at the time. Did not miss a day off work, just made the time up.
One early on a Monday and one late on a Friday. I had to do that as I was working away, but by the 4th treatment it was gone.

I'd get it as soon as you are diagnosed with it. Seriously, it kills it stone dead.?
That is why I am surprised that is has not been used more often, if not even the default treatment.?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I suspected I was getting it or sciatica about 10 days ago. The rash appeared exactly a week ago and the tablets will all be gone in the morning. In my case the rash is all around the right side of my waist at the back, side and front. Worse than the photos in the link I supplied. However I’m hoping that the virus is beginning to retreat to it’s lair in my spine again...until the next time! Ah well, when I’m 70 I can get vaccinated.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I had that in the late 80's, I feel for you colin not good times at the moment

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:00
A shingles vaccine has been available (Zostavax), a new one is now available (Shingrix). I don't know anything about these vaccines. My health care provider has been pushing for me to take a shingles vaccine at each of my physicals, seems that I should. Did a quick internet search. New Shingles Vaccine: What You Need To Know
Can I get the Shingrix vaccine now?
You might have to wait. Due to higher-than-expected demand, Shingrix has been in short supply. GlaxoSmithKline has ramped up its production of the vaccine, and the company says it plans to significantly increase the number of available doses in 2019.
Should you get Shingrix if you've already had shingles?
Yes. Shingles can come back after you've had it. "There's a somewhat increased risk that you could get a second episode, so go ahead and get the vaccine," Schaffner says. Just wait until your rash and other symptoms have cleared.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My problem right now is a decision. Having researched it, I found that Zostavax is cheaper but less effective. Shingrix (or Shingrex) is more effective but also over twice as expensive. My insurance won't cover the full cost and at the moment I'm stable so the heck with it.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Government will pay for mine as long as I'm 65 or over - and I ain't sayin...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks to all for your kind comments.
For info, Shingles oftens recurs some time after the initial outbreak though at least I'll recognise the signs and get the tablets ASAP in future

@Steve R.
The vaccine is available on the NHS once you reach 70 but that's a couple of years away for me.
I'm not sure which of the two vaccines is used here or if it can vary.
Whilst it helps alleviate the symptoms I know it does not prevent anyone getting getting shingles again.

@Gasman
I've done some research into trials using ultrasound. They all seem to date from the 1980s or earlier.
Perhaps the medicine now available wasn't around at the time and have proved more effective to manage the condition?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@isladogs
Well I worked at CEGB 1990 I think, so probably about right.
I cannot say about the vaccines and fortunately I have not had it again since.

All the best anyway. :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Colin,
If it makes you feel any better, my boot disk in my laptop died last night.
I've just been to Currys for a new one, and have managed to resurrect it (heads were stuck)
Now trying to back it up before it decides to go again. (fingers crossed) :)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't mean to change the subject -shingles is not trivial.
However, for Gasman:
"my boot disk in my laptop died last night.

I've just been to Currys for a new one, and have managed to resurrect it (heads were stuck)
Now trying to back it up before it decides to go again. (fingers crossed)"

Get yourself an SSD. I went through that scenario 2 years ago, hdd was bad -went to SSD (no moving parts and faster) and have been very happy.
Good luck.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
@jdraw TBH that is the first hard disk that has ever died on me, if only for a few hours. I've been using computers since 1990.
Already bought now, but I'll take note on the SSD, though. Thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Paul/Jack
No need to apologise. This thread had multiple items and it goes in whatever direction seems appropriate.
I've only ever had one complete hard drive failure. Not fun but 'easy' to resolve.
This was different in that various disk sectors have "gone bad". The fact that two drives were simultaneously affected was bizarre
I'm hoping that if I can isolate them, I may be able to recover at least some of the files but haven't yet started attempting to do so.

FWIW the unwanted update to Win 10 version 2004 appeared to go without a hitch but I've hardly touched that workstation since,
I remember Paul had a major issue with it. Can you remind me and I'll check it out.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:00
Someone should start a thread about various health issues that members have. It might be away for us to find common ground, find tips and tricks and become better humans. In-spite of our political differences. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom