Join Multiple Fields from One Table to the Same Table in a Query (1 Viewer)

themurph2000

Fat, drunk, and stupid
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
I think this was a case of being too clever for my own good. (hard to believe, I know)

I have a table that is basically a survey form. The same series of options was available for 35 questions, and the table used to have a text string written for each answer. Because of all the repetitive data, I created a second table that assigned a number value to each of the nine possible options in these 35 separate fields. What happened is that, instead of the same text strings repeated over and over (and taking up real estate), now each of the 35 columns had a single number in them.

Now comes the day of reckoning and TPTB want a query with the raw data and the original text strings back in instead of the numbers. I was thinking doing something along the lines of a DLookup, but I can't seem to make that work in a query correctly. Apart from calling the same table and linking it over and over to the different fields in the original data table (see photo for how insane that is), anybody have suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• qbe-grid.jpg
    qbe-grid.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 94

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 01:56
Yes. That you provide a sample of what you have and a sample of what you want created from the sample data. Anything else is pointless digital arm-waving :D

themurph2000

Fat, drunk, and stupid
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
Yes. That you provide a sample of what you have and a sample of what you want created from the sample data. Anything else is pointless digital arm-waving :D

Actually, I ended up getting DLookup to work. I just have to pick a better site to explain it than the one I did (wasn't this site). And get better at not accepting the way this database was designed when I inherited it.

For now, all's good. Thanks for checking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom