Jumping In! Water looks good... (1 Viewer)

kcnewheart

Local time
Today, 05:18
Hi all!

I can be a little rebellious while still following the rules, so getting started with the greetings...

I'm an old gal with some far, far away coding experience - think fortran and PASCAL - and a little experience in a lot. But fairly new to the intricacies of Access. That's right - a newbie but an oldie.

I was assigned to take over a database program for a quality assurance group that was started by a part time, just graduating and moving to engineering guy. It was mostly done - but very poorly and certainly not normalized. I spent the first part of my time on it, while doing my other work, trying to figure out what he had done. I rewrote almost all the vba code based on his table, forms, queries, and reports, as well as adding and updating some functionality of most.

But because the data wasn't very well normalized, I began planning a redo - which ended up being necessary because the user was running up against a record size wall.

Anyway, I keep trying to find a solution to my latest issue and haven't found it yet. So I'm thinking I might need some help. And so, here I am.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:18
Hi kcknewheart, welcome to AWF.

I like to see a little rebellion! Makes life interesting.

Cheers TØny...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mjdemaris

Working on it...
Local time
Today, 03:18
Welcome KC! Lots of good people here!

Kevin Ensign

Local time
Today, 03:18
new user also, but without experience. I just seen you mention fortran and that gave me the "goose bumps". I took it my first year in college, needless to say I didn't pass and changed my major. Funny how things come full circle.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
new user also, but without experience.
Due to a bug in the forum software this message was "unapproved" (hidden) for some considerable time. I have just approved it. I hope no one has been inconvenience too much! The new forum software no longer has this bug, so this problem should not reoccur.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Well done

It's not all down me Jon, Colin has done a lot of these as well...

I may be in danger of resurrecting unnecessary posts, however I also assume that the accidentally ignored poster will be notified. There is a small chance we might gain a bit more interaction. The other thing is, people are starting to overtake me on the number of posts. I've got to do something to build up my post count!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
However I haven't been posting messages when posts are approved. Perhaps I should as well.
Anyway, no time to do any today so we're not going to trip over each other

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Uncle Gizmo I need to get that stats thing up so you can all compete again the post-wars!

I actually had an idea earlier today. How about having a random forum from lower down on the board (e.g. sports, politics, business) to appear near the top of the board, just for a day. It might help those poor little buggers get some exposure and therefore traction. Not sure if any add-on exists for that but interesting concept.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I actually had an idea earlier today. How about having a random forum from lower down on the board (e.g. sports, politics, business

I like the idea, but one of the main problems is we have USA/UK members and politics and Sport for both countries are completely different... So I think the subject choice wants to be a little more global? I know global warming!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I know global warming!
oh give me break, Tony. Global warming is just as ridiculous as a supervisor that tells me to sweep a floor to keep myself busy during downtime, cuz everyone *has* to be *productive* 100% of the time. yet another example of corporate greed and fear that they can't keep their jobs.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
a supervisor that tells me to sweep a floor to keep myself busy during downtime,

If I was your supervisor I would say exactly the same thing, you know why? I bet you a $100 that you can't stop talking!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
If I was your supervisor I would say exactly the same thing, you know why? I bet you a $100 that you can't stop talking!
hmmmm....I think you'd lose your $100 on that one, Tony. If you had accompanied me to the monastery 3 weeks ago, you would have seen what I'm talking about. :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
hmmmm....I think you'd lose your $100 on that one, Tony.

Well at least your supervisor didn't send you home on full pay, so there must be some hope for you yet..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom