Just got the keys to the candy shop!! (1 Viewer)

TheKid

Local time
Today, 18:47
Hi everybody. I’ve just finished doing my first week’s of school work placement at my Uncle's travel agency. After getting all the ”best” jobs, he told me it builds character:p. I had to do a lot of retyping the same details or formatting the details for input into different parts on the same system. I discussed this with my uncle, again I was told it builds character:p. He said it’s been ages since the system has been updated as the software company closed down. He remembered they sent him a CD that had the masters on it. He dug it out and sure enough, I checked both Front End & Back End ldb and mdb files along with a txt file that had all the admin and VB passwords.

I made a mistake by mentioning this to one of his staff and discussing what she would update. It went around the offices and I finished up with 10 emails and two A4 sheets of suggestions. I'm going to collate all the suggestions and discuss this with my uncle to make some changes next week. I think I've learned my first lesson about keeping my mouth shut. As uncle David would say “it builds character”

Regards & stay safe
TheKid

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 14:47
Welcome.to AWF, sounds like you are already knee deep in it

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:47
Welcome aboard and good luck!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 11:47
Welcome, @TheKid and thanks for sharing the background - Sounds like you will soon be indispensable there!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:47
Hello, TheKid, and welcome to the forum.

Obviously you've never had a military person in your family who ever gave you that most important piece of advice: Don't volunteer for something unless you damned well mean it. I worked with the U.S Navy as a contractor for over 25 years. First thing you learn is that if you ADMIT that you know something esoteric or even just slightly rare, that information will be treated like a "Kick Me" sign taped to your back. The first time that bit of special knowledge kicks in, you are doomed. Therefore, given that this esoteric knowledge is Access, I expect we will see you soon and often.

TheKid

Local time
Hello, TheKid, and welcome to the forum.

Obviously you've never had a military person in your family who ever gave you that most important piece of advice: Don't volunteer for something unless you damned well mean it. I worked with the U.S Navy as a contractor for over 25 years. First thing you learn is that if you ADMIT that you know something esoteric or even just slightly rare, that information will be treated like a "Kick Me" sign taped to your back. The first time that bit of special knowledge kicks in, you are doomed. Therefore, given that this esoteric knowledge is Access, I expect we will see you soon and often.
Alexander Pope `a little learning is a dangerous thing' (1688 - 1744).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom