Just testing the new voting system (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:45
Test thread only. I selected Question in the header. Feel free to vote if you can do so and so wish 😏

Solution
Voting can indeed be a motivator but it can also lead to annoyances when posts are marked down for reasons unclear to the person posting.
Both SO and MSDN use voting but for the above reasons its a mixed blessing. It will be interesting to see how it works out here.
Anyway, I’m about to sign off as my phone is almost flat and its my only internet connection at present

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In the spirit of scientific research I've just voted one of my own posts in this thread as the solution. That seems to have replaced the previous post of Jon's I marked earlier.
So two questions:
1. Can more than one answer be marked as a solution
2. Can anyone other than the OP mark a post as a solution?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The original poster chooses the solution, although a mod can override that. Only one solution can be marked.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:45
So that keeps the status quo on Solution feature, right? That's probably good I think?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
My personal view is that the developers have probably thought through a lot of these things, discussing in teams. So I bow down to their more in-depth thinking and research on this.

Personaly, I think they have done an excellent job with this software. I for one certain like using it.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I would suggest tweaking it to allow more than one post to be selected as the solution, if that is possible.
Sometimes elements of two or more responses provide the best answer.

Also, is it possible to add A WARNING if a user clicks a downvote e.g. are you SURE you want to downvote this post ...?
That might help reduce potential abuse.
MSDN only allows upvotes. Stackoverflow allows both but the effect can be toxic ... especially to new members

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It isn't possible to have more than one solution. The voting system should cover which posts are useful. You can sort by number of votes, which is handy.

No warnings option.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
All these new features will take a while to get used to. I think they are noticeable improvements though. Time will tell.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:45
Hopefully most of the usage will be honorable. My personal approach would be to almost all of the time either Upvote something or leave it alone.
I can, however, imagine a small percentage of the time possibly using a Downvote simply to reflect that I think the suggestion made truly is a risky or bad idea, but would relegate it to hopefully quite rare usage.
Like if someone suggested automation that edited the boss's registry and changed his username or something. Ha ha. I might DV it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom