"LastName, Firstname" trick (1 Viewer)

steevie_t

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:51
This is a useful trick: If you use a + to concatenate strings then it propogates nulls, if you use a & it doesn't...

So in the expression:

rec![LastName] & (", " + rec![FirstName])​

If rec![FirstName] is Null then the expression (", " + rec![FirstName]) will be too, but the rec![LastName] & (Null) part won't be. This neatly drops the comma and space if the firstname is Null

Much better than:

rec![LastName] & iif(isnull(rec![FirstName]), "", ", " + rec![FirstName])​

Steve.

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:51
Turn trick around?

Hi Steve,

I like the look of your trick.

My database has a telephone listing report that shows Seniority, Discipline, and Position alongside the employees name. Thus an entry might read:

Employee A_____Senior Instrument Engineer

The expression in the query that the report is based on is:

Code:
Expr2: [Seniority] & " " & [tbl_Emp_Discipline]![Discipline] & " " & [tbl_Emp_Position]![Position]

This works fine unless the employee has no rank i.e. an "Engineer" rather than a "Senior Engineer" in which case there is a leading space " " which moves the text out of line (this doesn't show up very well here but in a telephone directory it is obvious):

Employee A_____Senior Instrument Engineer
Employee B______Instrument Engineer
Employee C_____Senior Instrument Engineer

Is it possible adapt the trick you gave to remove the null from the first part of an expression?

Kind regards,

Keith.

steevie_t

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, very simple:

([Seniority] + " ") & [tbl_Emp_Discipline]![Discipline] & " " & [tbl_Emp_Position]![Position]

Steve.

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
steevie_t said:
Yes, very simple:

([Seniority] + " ") & [tbl_Emp_Discipline]![Discipline] & " " & [tbl_Emp_Position]![Position]

Steve.

Steve,

Works beautifully - thanks.

I'm a slow study so bear with me: Looking at the code and trying to understand what is happening:

([Field1] + " ") gives a null if [Field1] is null

or

([Field1] + " ") gives [Field1] contents plus a space if [Field1] is not null.

([Field1] + " ") & [Field2] gives only [Field2] when the first part is null and all of ([Field1] with space) and [Field2] if it is not null.

I was a bit thrown by the "rec!" in your example as I haven't come across this in my brief Career as an Access Guru wannabe. Broken down into it's bits, I can see that it is pretty easy to use.

Once again - good tip and thanks for the code snippet which helped me understand the usage and smartened up my reports.

Regards,

Keith.

steevie_t

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, the rec! is from my own code. I was working in a vba procedure and had declared rec as a recordset, and yes you are right Null + "Text" gives Null, Null & "Text" gives "Text"

Keith Nichols

Registered User.
Local time
Cool bananas. The more experience I get the easier it will be to work these things out.

I'm glad I came across your tip as I had a mental note to hurt my brain trying to get the whole "if null don't show" thing working. Don't be shy about dropping other good 'tricks' into the repository.

Regards,

Keith.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:51
Reading the help entries on & and + is definitely worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom