Law and Order (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:39

Remember a while back, when everyone seemed to agree that nobody was to alter or affect anyone else's property in any way?

So simple.

Now they are protecting graffiti - as if people have some kind of inborn, God-given right to paint stuff on property that's not theirs.

Things have really gone off the rails. Time to raise kids with a real, tangible moral compass. Yes, that actually means Do's and Don't's. Despite what you may have heard, a list of Dont's won't actually kill you - it will keep you out of trouble!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:39
That may be a good thing. I think they were never prosecuting the perps. They were prosecuting the property owners if they didn't clean up the mess in a timely fashion.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That may be a good thing. I think they were never prosecuting the perps. They were prosecuting the property owners if they didn't clean up the mess in a timely fashion.
That's so insane I have no words.

Punish the victim, don't punish the criminal. Sounds about right for what we started teaching our kids about 30-40 years ago

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Seattle used to be my favorite city in the US. I LOVED living there in the 70's. I had a picture postcard view of Mt Rainier from my balcony.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I visited there once and I do remember enjoying it, except for it's one of those poorly planned cities with no parking - very car unfriendly.
The problem is walking doesn't work very well either - unless you enjoy walking up and down very steep hills all day!

Apart from that, I liked the market and all the vendor stands. Love looking at the creative arts and crafts and paintings, I could gaze at them all day literally! Love the weather too, plenty of rain is right down my alley. Don't ask me how I ended up in Az, I blame the wife :)

Very sad to think that radical progressive-minded people have taken just about every gorgeous part of America and ruined it, or nearly ruined it.

But they learn nothing from it. They keep their heads down stubbornly and say "well, we must need even MORE liberalism".

Umm yeah. That must be it. o_O

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Seattle has an absolutely fascinating history. There's book called "Sons of the Profits" (yep, that's the spelling:)) that details some of it from the fire that burned downtown and caused it to be rebuilt 1 story higher to solve the problem of the toilets that became fountains at high tide) to the building of the U of W and how that came about to the "seamstresses'" (euphemism for prostitutes) who kept the city alive during its early days. Plus the origin of the term skid row, etc.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:39
When my parents and I visited Seattle in the 1970s, we enjoyed it very much, with a couple of exceptions that weren't the fault of Seattle but WERE the fault of circumstances.

We visited the 1500 block of King Street and had a very somber evening. My father had never known HIS father because of a family rift. In the late 1920s or early 1930s, I'd have to look it up to be sure of the actual date, but my grandfather died in a construction accident at the hotel that still stood there during our visit. My dad spent a large part of the day being (understandably) very emotional at finding the place where Grandpa died. But it was a form of closure.

On the flight home from the SeaTac airport, I was miserable. We had eaten at a fancy restaurant near the airport grounds and I think I got some tainted beef. I spent most of the flight in the toilet calling Ralph, long before cell phones worked in airplanes. It was a bloody milk run with stops in Portland, Denver, and Dallas before we got back to New Orleans so the roller-coaster ride wasn't good either. By the time we DID get home, my stomach had settled mostly because by then there was nothing in it.

Word of advice: If you go to a restaurant that has subdued lighting, suede wallpaper, matching carpets, and the waitresses wear sexy suede skating outfits with lots of leg and the short skating skirts match the wallpaper, and worse if the menu has lots of pictures and lots of ornate script even in the fine print... walk away calmly and quietly. But WALK AWAY. They blew their money on decor, not on food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom