LDB file won't automatically close on network drive (1 Viewer)

thetdy

Local time
Today, 15:05
When I open and close a database on my network the LDB file won't close. But offline on my desktop it does. Nobody is in it. I created 2 fresh databases, one offline and one online, and the offline one works fine but not the online one. It just started today after months of auto deleting the LDB after closing. I can delete the LDB file no problem it's just becoming annoying. Has anyone seen this before?

Ranman256

Local time
do you use an 'exit' button to run: DoCmd.Quit?
if not, try.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:05
Check the permissions on the .LDB file and on its containing folder. The behavior you describe is typical of NOT having the MODIFY permissions on the folder and its contents. If it used to work and now doesn't, see if someone ran a "security audit" and diddled with permissions. It's not common to do that but it happened to me when I was a Navy contractor. The IT security team was... how shall I politely say this? Zealous.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 12:05
The LDB file should be deleted by Jet if the following two conditions are met:

1-You place the database in a shared folder, and "all" users have the "delete" permissions on that folder.

2-The database is not corrupted.

i copied this suggestion from an old post on this forum.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:05
you can try to delete the ldb file manually. If you cant then it IS in use. You may need to investigate sessions and shares to see who is active.

thetdy

Local time
Check the permissions on the .LDB file and on its containing folder. The behavior you describe is typical of NOT having the MODIFY permissions on the folder and its contents. If it used to work and now doesn't, see if someone ran a "security audit" and diddled with permissions. It's not common to do that but it happened to me when I was a Navy contractor. The IT security team was... how shall I politely say this? Zealous.
I feel like this was it. Something happening in the background with IT because I gave up and worked on another project, came back and it was working fine. So who knows? Spent all morning dealing with it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:05
Actually, there is one other explanation for this behavior. If at some point the server was rebooted, then it is POSSIBLE (but by no means guaranteed) that a previous process was "hung" or aborted during shutdown such that the file lock was left open. The server reboot would then allow the file lock to be released. But if that is actually the explanation, a manual "delete" of the lock file should have failed. So I'm not betting on this alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom