Lets Kill the Me. vs Me! sticky or lets rewrite it (1 Viewer)

Get Rid or Replace Current Me. vs ME! Sticky

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:27
I've pruned the min 10 posts for image sticky.

I think it would be prudent to come up with a decent title for a sticky thread that could be used in all of the Access related forums. e.g. VBA Essentials, Form Essentials. etc. I quite like the sound of that title. Thoughts?

Edit: I've upped a poll for this.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:27
Instead of all of the stickies, how about ONE sticky that says "Please look at the FEATURED ARTICLES thread" and move any of the technical stickies to a featured articles topic of its own?

Just a thought.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am in agreement with you Doc on the less-is-more approach. For me, one to three stickies max per forum is good. There were ten in the General forum and that was just terrible!

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:27
I can add this discussion, but it is so niche it might cause more confusion. Do not think I ever needed to do this, and if I did would probably gone the recordset route.
Do you think it is a niche discussion?
I rather think this situation is one of the primary causes of any Bang vs. Dot discussion.
However, this special situation is rarely addressed in detail because most people don't know about it or don't understand it. Then it's results are misused to argue some of those incorrect statements you mentioned earlier in this thread.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 08:27
I rewrote the thread in post 19 and used this verbiage. I meant that the use of this was rarely used but the discussion is important.

(There is actually one use in vba where you would have to use !. If at run time you set the recordsource of a form or report and do not have a control bound to a field then Me.FieldName will not work, but Me!FieldName will work. This is not something normally done IMO. See not 6 for further discussion on why this is. The reason Me.FieldName does not work in this case is because since the control was never added to the form in design time there is no dedicated property for that Field. It does exists in the collection at runtime. The other way in this situation using Bang would be Me.controls("FieldName").)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
dim frm1 as New Form_SomeForm
dim frm1 as new Form_SomeForm

frm1.caption = "frm1"
frm2.caption = "frm2"
Pardon the intrusion, but wouldn't the second dim be frm2?
Aside from maybe a couple of grammatical errors (if you care) it is much better than what exists as a sticky at this point.
Nice job.

MajP

Local time
Made the fix. Thanks.

MajP

Local time
Off topic, but MajP, I actually thought that was a real pic of you. My first thought was that I would never post a pic of myself if I looked like that!
But then I realized it was Les Grossman (Tom Cruise) from Tropic Thunder! Too funny...
I figure I should update with a real picture for a while although Les is the man.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Can not use variables in bang
dim cntrlName as string
cntrName = txtOne
x = me.controls(txtOne)
cannot do
x = me!txtone
@MajP

Quoted from section 3 of your first post.

Shouldn't it be:
cntrName = "txtOne"
x = me.controls(cntrlName)
cannot do
x = me!cntrlName

?

MajP

Local time
Quoted from section 3 of your first post.
The whole thread was rewritten and updated in thread 19 which is correct. I may try to delete this whole thread and create a clean version.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
Apologies, started from the beginning and thought the rest of the thread was just discussion (your first post seemed already to include the additional point made by Sonic8, so I thought it was being updated)

MajP

Local time
Apologies, started from the beginning and thought the rest of the thread was just discussion (your first post seemed already to include the additional point made by Sonic8, so I thought it was being updated)
It is confusing, so I created a clean version with less diatribe.

Local time
Today, 13:27
Adding the demo from the-bang-exclamation-operator-in-vba can show what can get wrong, when using Bang. Also adding the explicit .item call, when referencing a collection member may be useful.

Overall a hard task to explain this to non programmers, keep working on it (and then the same for CurrentDb ;( )

btw: wasn't it used because forms where opened without datasource in early days (for performance reasons)? I will search for that related thread, but i think the site is abandonned now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom