Solved Link Master/Child field, Subform to Subform, Blank Result (1 Viewer)

Jordonjd

Local time
Today, 13:59
Good Morning Everyone,

Hopefully this will be quick, I am trying to tweak an existing form for a colleague

Mainform :Frm_booking_In
Subform : Frm_Booking_In_Detail
Subform : Frm_Booking_In_Contracts

Frm_Booking_In_Detail contains Serial Numbers [Serial No] (short text),

Frm_Booking_In_Contracts contains Serial Numbers [ContractSN] (short text) and contracts

I created a textbox on the mainform "Txt_SN" = =[Frm_Booking_In_Detail].[Form]![Serial No] to display the current Serial Number on the Selected

Then in Frm_Booking_In_Contracts i am typing link master as Txt_SN and Child [ContractSN]

The moment i do this and return to the form the Frm_Booking_In_Contracts is blank, Txt_SN is displaying the selected lines serial number but there is 0 records in the contracts subform.

I am sure in the past this method worked with text fields
There are definitely related records, matching exactly
tried creating a new form from scratch just in case but have the same result

If I remove the master/child from the contracts form properties and return to form view it fully displays the unfiltered records from its source query

Maybe I have forgotten something quite simple but I have even opened my own database to reference working examples of this method so I'm at a bit of a loss

Thanks in advance everyone

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:59
does txt_SN showing the Serial No from [Frm_Booking_In_Detail] subform correctly?

Jordonjd

Local time
does txt_SN showing the Serial No from [Frm_Booking_In_Detail] subform correctly?
It does,

I noticed that the Source query for the Contracts form had some null ContractSN fields so I removed those from the query in case that would affect it but still the same result

Just for further info, There are no other matching fields other than Serial No / ContractSN
There are no relationships in this db except when making queries

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:59
are you sure those Joining fields are Text (no Lookup field).

Jordonjd

Local time
are you sure those Joining fields are Text (no Lookup field).
They are but I was just running through the table and form again and I saw the below in the Details subform Serial No control properties

1637062968251.png

Removing the "0" in the format and everything is working now. I have not come across this before, the Serial No is normally a mixture of letters and numbers, would anyone know if there would be a particular reason for having this "0" in the format property?

Jordonjd

Local time
Stupidly I copied the controls from the original form into a new one to save time with the control properties, i'm sure if i had just used the newly created controls in the new forms this would not have happened.

Lesson learnt,

Thanks for your time everyone, I'll speak to my colleague and see if there was a reason for this 0 as well just in case

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom