Link to Old .MDB from .ACCDB (1 Viewer)

Malcolm17

Local time
Today, 12:47
Hey All,

I am trying to link to my data in a very old system (Total Control Till System) to my accdb database. I used to be able to use Windows 7 and MS Access 2007, however I am looking to use MS Access on Office 365 as I use for other databases as my old computer has died. I can probably install Access 2007 if I need to but would prefer not to.

I have tried updating the tables but the till system will not recognise them etc, so I am stuck with the format that they are in. I'm not sure what version of access the tables would have been created in, I have used MDBPlus to edit and view data in the past but I use Access to create and automatically email reports around the office etc.

I have tried to Link using the Get External Data > MS Access but I get the error 'MS Access: Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application'

Is there any way around this please?

Thank you,

Malcolm

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I believe you will need to convert them to accdb. Make a backup of the mdb first, then convert to .accdb.

Malcolm17

Local time
I believe you will need to convert them to accdb. Make a backup of the mdb first, then convert to .accdb.
Hi Gasman,

Thank you I have tried that but sadly the till system doesn't recognise the accdb file, only mdb. When it is collecting sales etc it looks to put it in to a file called (eg.) Sales.mdb

Malcolm

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 04:47
Hey All,

I am trying to link to my data in a very old system (Total Control Till System) to my accdb database. I used to be able to use Windows 7 and MS Access 2007, however I am looking to use MS Access on Office 365 as I use for other databases as my old computer has died. I can probably install Access 2007 if I need to but would prefer not to.

I have tried updating the tables but the till system will not recognise them etc, so I am stuck with the format that they are in. I'm not sure what version of access the tables would have been created in, I have used MDBPlus to edit and view data in the past but I use Access to create and automatically email reports around the office etc.

I have tried to Link using the Get External Data > MS Access but I get the error 'MS Access: Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application'

Is there any way around this please?

Thank you,

Malcolm
That mdb was created with an earlier version of Access, prior to 2003, most likely. You will need to convert it to a newer format, probably an accdb would be better. You'll need an earlier version of Access to do that. Follow Gasman's prompt.

If you no longer have an installed copy of A2007 to do this, perhaps someone who does have it can make the conversion for you. You'd have to share a copy of the mdb.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 04:47
Hi Gasman,

Thank you I have tried that but sadly the till system doesn't recognise the accdb file, only mdb. When it is collecting sales etc it looks to put it in to a file called (eg.) Sales.mdb

Malcolm
That most likely is a hard-coded file name somewhere in the VBA or a macro. Find it and update.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Access 2007 was the last version that could open Access97 files. It can also convert them to A2000 or A2002/3 MDB format both of which can be read by all newer versions of Access including 365.
So if your Till system will accept one of those MDB formats you have your solution

Malcolm17

Local time
Brilliant, thank you all for your suggestions. Isladogs I think this might be my best bet, I'll give all a go tho.

Many thanks,

Malcolm

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:47
Speaking of conversions, has anyone made a batch conversion application. One that reads all .mdb's in a folder and converts them to .accdb?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Brilliant, thank you all for your suggestions. Isladogs I think this might be my best bet, I'll give all a go tho.

Many thanks,

Malcolm
I have 2007 if you need someone to convert it for you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks, I was just looking to see if someone had already built the database I have to build to convert hundreds of old files. I'll build it myself. I was just being lazy.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thank you I have tried that but sadly the till system doesn't recognise the accdb file
Think about it this way. When the .mdb was built, had the .accdb been invented yet? It hadn't. Therefore, the old application won't be able to read the new file type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom