Linked Table Manager Empty (1 Viewer)

Denise2020

Local time
Today, 07:00
Has anyone ever experienced this? Our system recently upgraed to Office 2016 from 2010, however, Access was NOT upgraded (yet). When I open any database now, I am shown a lot of popups before it finally opens. I do not know if any of this is related.

My problem is that when I am trying to manage linked tables, the list is completely empty. I removed and re-linked tables and checked, and the table manager is still empty. Everything else seems to work as intended and the linked tables are visible in the database. But it is a problem if I cannot manage the links when needed. Thank you in advance.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:00
From memory, the linked table manager won't open correctly if there is a current VBA error being trapped.
The pop ups may well be errors that you are clicking through?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 23:00
Has anyone ever experienced this? Our system recently upgraed to Office 2016 from 2010, however, Access was NOT upgraded (yet). When I open any database now, I am shown a lot of popups before it finally opens. I do not know if any of this is related.

My problem is that when I am trying to manage linked tables, the list is completely empty. I removed and re-linked tables and checked, and the table manager is still empty. Everything else seems to work as intended and the linked tables are visible in the database. But it is a problem if I cannot manage the links when needed. Thank you in advance.
It would be helpful to get better responses if you would provide more specifics. For example, rather than just "a lot of popups", why not describe precisely what they say, when they occur, and/or post screenshots?

Denise2020

Local time
My apologies as I am at home now and unable to see the popup windows at the moment. From memory, they are various "loading" screens that look like they are trying to update Access but are failing (because my computer is not connected to the internet).

They scroll through four or five boxes and then Access opens. I do not believe that they are related to this but it was a thought since this problem showed up after the Office update.

After actually opening Access and opening the database, there are no error windows. The reason I am trying to manage the linked tables is that I moved the database from a disk where I work on it at home to my office computer.

Again I apologize for such terrible generalities and will return with more precise text from the boxes as soon as I get back to work. Thank you again for your time.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
From your description it sounds like office is trying to configure Access each time you run it. This involves updating registry settings and is an unfortunate but common side effect of having two versions of Office installed at the same time.

if you can confirm whether or not that is what is happening, one of us can advise you how best to proceed.

Denise2020

Local time
My apologies again for the delay. I believe you are on to something, isladogs! Here are the messages on my screen while trying to open Access:

Wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Access 2010 (load bar fills and starts over several times, maybe three, then the next window comes)
Installation preparing... (load bar fills, then next window, then this repeats at least two more times)
Wait while windows configures Microsoft Office Access 2010
Installation preparing...
Wait while windows configures Microsoft Office Access 2010

...then finally Access opens.
After Access opens, there are no error messages or popups, and the database looks normal EXCEPT for the fact that the link manager pane is empty.

So can this also be a side effect of the two versions issue?

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The configuration screens are exactly what I described in post #5.
If you are unable to upgrade to A2016, you need to fix the file associations for ACCDB/ACCDE files to A2010 in Windows settings.
However I would recheck whether A2016 has been partly installed with the rest of Office 2016.

What exactly does it looks normal mean in this case?
Can you show a screenshot of the tables part of the navigation pane and the linked table manager.
Also, please run this query which will list any linked tables in your database (if you have any):

Code:
SELECT MSysObjects.Name, MSysObjects.Type
FROM MSysObjects
WHERE (((MSysObjects.Type)=4 Or (MSysObjects.Type)=6));

Denise2020

Local time
Thank you so much! Here is a three in one pic that covers it all, I think. The table list, the link manager, and the query you requested. Thank you again!

Skärmklipp.PNG

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Denise,
PMFJI, your IT dept should be sorting this out for you?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:00
Just to confirm when you check the box below and press ok you are unable to navigate to the server?

1604672580149.png

Denise2020

Local time
Gasman, the IT dept wont really be of much help if it turns out that is the cause of my issue. The problem is that because of where I work, I just will have to wait for the eventual (I hope) Access update, even if it turns out to be next year, like I fear. It just isn't something I can push through.

AccessBlaster, actually, I can navigate to the server and have no problem relinking (which them show up as tbl1, tbl2, etc, ie duplicates), I have removed the linked tables and relinked them as a workaround when moving the database, but since I work at home much of the time, then go into the office to update and upload, it is a recurring issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom