Solved Linked Tables Suddenly Embedded into the Front End (1 Viewer)

Weekleyba

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:06
I've had this happen twice now in the last 6 months.
A user's FE suddenly has the linked tables from the BE removed and all the tables are now embedded into their FE.
Of course this is a huge problem as they are now inputting data to their own tables and not the main tables.
When it first happened, I thought maybe a user with some knowledge of Access, deleted and imported the tables.
But now this just happened again with a user next to me and he certainly did not do that.
Is it possible for this to happen without someone initiating it?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:06
I didn't think it was easy to make this happen intentionally. let alone inadvertently.
Is there already a set of the tables in your front end that are not being used?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:06
you are probably allowing users access to the navigation window where they can select multiple linked tables and on right clicking they can convert to a local table
image_2022-07-07_091013925.png

never a good idea to allow users to access the navigation window

Attachments

• image_2022-07-07_090754641.png
    image_2022-07-07_090754641.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 82

Weekleyba

Registered User.
Local time
I will double check the access to navigation pane.
I know I have it hidden but you can still press F11 to make it show up.
The only other thing that I can think of is, sometimes I’ll intentionally bring the tables in and work on the database from home. Perhaps I messed up and sent an update out with the tables in it. ??
Yesterday, I had three other users check their tables and they were all linked. So that’s good.
I’m just puzzled why it happened.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Perhaps I messed up and sent an update out with the tables in it. ??
but wouldn't you send that to everyone? And if you check a local table to the linked table you should see a difference in the PK or number of records which should give you a clue as to when

Depends how you are sending but if emailing, you can check what you sent

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I would also strongly advise you to make sure end users cannot access the navigation pane as its too easy for them to cause problems unintentionally.

You can reduce issues by unticking shortcut menus in Access options
1657192764461.png

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 12:06
In addition to the advice given, I have a script that establishes an application shortcut. The script detects if it is me logging in and if not, opens Access with a runtime switch:
Code:
...\msaccess.exe /runtime

It locks down the FE even further and provides a "finished" look. Another nice thing about it is that if you have an un-trapped error (something I never do :rolleyes:), the app will close out and not allow the user to access the IDE by clicking "Debug"...

Weekleyba

Registered User.
Local time
In addition to the advice given, I have a script that establishes an application shortcut. The script detects if it is me logging in and if not, opens Access with a runtime switch:
Code:
...\msaccess.exe /runtime

It locks down the FE even further and provides a "finished" look. Another nice thing about it is that if you have an un-trapped error (something I never do :rolleyes:), the app will close out and not allow the user to access the IDE by clicking "Debug"...
Well that sounds nifty! Care to share or is it for sale? It may be to custom for a general application I suppose.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 12:06

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom