Linking a pivot table in excel to access table vs query (1 Viewer)

Db-why-not

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:53
If you use a query vs a table in access linked to your pivot table in excel will it be faster? Will it make excel faster? The table in access has several fields I don't need in my pivot table. Eventually the access table is going to get pretty big. Im also using a timeline to filter my pivot table. My excel pivit table is going to be used to create a monthly report. Its not that hard to create a query and use that as my source but I'm just wondering if its necessary, does it help with excels performance?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:53
If you use a query vs a table in access linked to your pivot table in excel will it be faster? Will it make excel faster? The table in access has several fields I don't need in my pivot table. Eventually the access table is going to get pretty big. I'm also using a timeline to filter my pivot table. My excel pivot table is going to be used to create a monthly report. Its not that hard to create a query and use that as my source but I'm just wondering if its necessary, does it help with excels performance?

I don't have any definitive information for you. I am sure there are others here who will be able to tell you exactly. The main reason I am posting is I noticed your post may have been missed, therefore I am bumping it up the list.

However, as a general rule in MS Access at least, it is considered good practice to use queries instead of tables because if you use a table, then you are accessing all of the records, which can cause delays, particularly if you have large tables.

So the unwritten rule is to use a query and reduce the number of records that are being shifted around.

As I said at the beginning, I'm sure there are others here it will be able to give you a better answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom