Linking dbf files (1 Viewer)

Yochiver

Local time
Today, 16:05
When linking to a dbf file in Access 2016; I get now (-until 10 days ago it worked fine-) the error message "A disk or network error has occurred. To continue, you must close the database and then reopen it". I get this error using ‘external data / database / dbase. If I want to create the link via VBA, I get error 3043. Relinking tables is not a problem. It is a standalone PC (wifi connection for Internet). Access 2016 Professional and Windows 10 Professional.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:05
is the dbf getting updates everyday?
can you just import the data?
wifi, is the data on the network?
wifi is not best for linked tables.

Yochiver

Local time
The dbf files are still updated on regular times and new tables are created. Using external data / Database / Dbase gives the same problem when importing. I can import the data via a work around but that is not workable . They need to be linked . Linking was okay until a some days ago. The Access Database, dbf files and old application are all on the pc . There is no connection with the world. It gives the same problem when I close the network.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:05
is there a way (from dbase) to export the data (as txt delimited or to xls file)?
then import/link the file from msa.

Yochiver

Local time
Thanks for your help.
Yes I can export the files, but I need to update the dbf files via access as well. So I need a direct link access-dbf.

Yochiver

Local time
Thanks . I have that software but I really need the link. Updates , creations and deletes have to work. Re-importing into the dbf-files gives problems. .

CarlettoFed

Local time
You should attach a copy of the DBF file with a minimum of data, replacing the sensitive ones, in order to test and verify what happens.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:05
According to your message, this worked until 10 days ago. The first thing that comes to mind is a Windows Update that affected some driver. See if you can get into the Windows Update page and verify that an update occurred 10 days ago. If so, try to roll it back as a test.

If you cannot do a rollback, one of the suggestions I saw online for error 3043 involved using a UNC path rather than a mapped drive letter path for the linked files.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:05
There was a period of time when Access could no longer link to .dbf files but I'm not sure what version that was. I thought it was 2013 that deprecated that feature and 2016 brought it back.

Yochiver

Local time
There was a period of time when Access could no longer link to .dbf files but I'm not sure what version that was. I thought it was 2013 that deprecated that feature and 2016 brought it back.
Yes A2016 had that possibility. I found the problem . It was one of the dbf files which was corrupt. Not easy to find (several 100 files) but it works again.
Thanks for thinking with me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom