linking forms (2 Viewers)

rainbows

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:21
hi ,

i have a sales form that has product numbers IE 1. FC1234M1 OR AB2345M1 which we are making and selling
I Also have a stocklist form with all the parts to make any product
we have now started to make extra products incase any go wrong for each order ie order is for 10 but we make 12
if none go wrong i want to book them 2 Extra ones into the stores ideally using the product number as the stock number but this time the stocknumber would be FC1234MIFG FG Defining it is a finished product

can a link be made from the 2 forms using that product number FC1234M1 and that stock number FC1234MIFG
so when we get an order say for 20 i would order 20 and also create another line order for the 2 out of the stores , this would take care hopefully of not having to make more

thanks steve

tvanstiphout

Local time
Inventory is complicated. I would recommend you review the Northwind 2 Developer edition, with its accompanying documentation here,

and a video where Kim Young is speaking specifically about inventory in Northwind here.

Adding an "FG" suffix to a Product Name doesn't strike me as the best way to handle inventory.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:21
hi ,

i have a sales form that has product numbers IE 1. FC1234M1 OR AB2345M1 which we are making and selling
we have now started to make extra products incase any go wrong for each order ie order is for 10 but we make 12
if none go wrong i want to book them 2 Extra ones into the stores ideally using the product number as the stock number but this time the stocknumber would be FC1234MIFG FG Defining it is a finished product

can a link be made from the 2 forms using that product number FC1234M1 and that stock number FC1234MIFG
so when we get an order say for 20 i would order 20 and also create another line order for the 2 out of the stores , this would take care hopefully of not having to make more

thanks steve
Hi Steve
Are you able to upload a copy of your database?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:21
@rainbows Logically product goes from manufacturing to inventory and from inventory to picking, then to shipping. When you take the quantity ordered and compare it to inventory and find that you have 0 quantity or less than what was ordered, you know you need to create a manufacturing order. Do you send it as 12 or perhaps as 10 and a second record as 2 which will help to make more logical sense. What is the formula for determining when you need to order extra to be manufactured and how much should that be.

When manufacturing builds the product and tests it, they know if they have wastage or extras and the inventory is updated appropriately. At this point, it doesn't matter how many were ordered. What matters is, do you have enough in inventory to proceed to picking. What happens if you need 10, order 12, but only end up with 9? Do you ship the 9 and backorder 1 or add another build request to your manufacturing process?

I think you are not looking at inventory in a standard way. There are standard inventory patterns. It is best to stick with them. Your process seems to be closer to bespoke than off-the-shelf since you are not building until you have an order.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 04:21
but this time the stocknumber would be FC1234MIFG FG Defining it is a finished product

Let me pile on with another issue: How you use information in the real world doesn't dictate how you store data in a database. In a database you store discrete pieces of data in their own fields. So, at the table level 'FG' would not be crammed onto the end of FC1234M1 to accomplish what you want. Instead you would either make another text field to store it, or if it's just a binary option ('FG' or blank) then you would use a Yes/No field to store that datum. Then with a logical field in a query you can generate the real world product number that should be used by looking at those two fields.

Looking at your product numbers, I'm concerned you have already done some sort of cramming already. Does 'FC' represent something by itself? Does '1234' represent a second thing? And does 'M1' express another? If so, each of those parts should be in their own field and not crammed together in one field in your table.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
hi ,

thanks steve
As Tom said, the Northwind Developers Version includes an excellent inventory module. It's not the only possible one, of course, because YOUR business will have different rules and requirements, as Pat pointed out.

That said, if you invest some time in learning how NW Dev inventory works, it will answer a lot of your questions.

Tom included a download link. Please use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom