Solved Linking Table With Multiple Rows (1 Viewer)

woodsy74

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:59
I am trying to query using two tables: ORDERS and COSTS. Based on the PRODUCT_ID and ORDER_DATE in ORDERS I want to find the correct PRICE from COSTS using the PRODUCT_ID and PRICE_DATE. I had joined the two tables by PRODUCT_ID and wrote a criteria on PRICE_DATE of >=[ORDER_DATE] and <=[ORDER_DATE].

This seemed to work fine for about half of the orders. It worked on orders where the PRODUCT_ID gets a PRICE everyday in COSTS. However, there are some PRODUCT_ID that only get updated once a week, or once a month, or whenever someone deems a change is required.

So, PRODUCT_ID 25 may have entries like 01/01/2020 $24.50; 01/15/2020 $24.25; 02/01/2020 $24.99; 03/01/2020 $24.75. If the ORDER_DATE is today (3/5) then I'd want to grab a PRICE of $24.75; if it was 1/10 then I'd want $24.50; etc.

Any idea on how I could write the query to grab the correct PRICE for each order in my population? Let me know if you need any other information. Thank you.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:59
Hi. It might be easier if you could post a demo version of your db with test data. Just a thought...

ebs17

Local time
Today, 02:59
SQL:
SELECT
   O.PRODUCT_ID,
   O.ORDER_DATE,
   (
      SELECT TOP 1
         C.Price
      FROM
         COSTS AS C
      WHERE
         C.PRODUCT_ID = O.PRODUCT_ID
            AND
         C.PRICE_DATE <= O.ORDER_DATE
      ORDER BY
         C.PRICE_DATE DESC
   ) AS PRICE
FROM
   ORDERS AS O

woodsy74

Registered User.
Local time
Attached is a Test Version of what I am doing. This doesn't match the examples I posted originally but the concept is the same. In Query1 I am just trying to pull in Orders #1 and #7. Order #1 returns because it's a PRODUCT_ID that is priced daily. Order #7 is not returned because the PRODUCT_ID is priced every week or so.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.

Attachments

• TESTING.zip
    19.4 KB · Views: 90

woodsy74

Registered User.
Local time
EBS17, what you have listed seems to be working for me. I will try incorporating it with the real data to make sure it works. Thanks for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom