locked ldb file (1 Viewer)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 10:41
I have asked this some time ago, but don't recall any solution here or in Google. The problem is happening again. I close Access and the ldb file stays, and won't delete. I've also had Access fail to open, but noticed the ldb file icon suddenly appearing (and then won't delete). Msg says something else is using it, so close it. But nothing is "using it" that I can close.

A copy of the access file will run though. But the only way to delete this ldb problem is reboot the computer.

Or is it ?

nhorton79

Registered User.
Local time
I’ve had this happen to me before where the ldb file wouldn’t delete.

All I’ve ever had to do was reopen the database and then close again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:41
It is sometimes possible to open the .LDB file with IE or Notepad and in it, you would see the name of the person AND the name of the computer holding the lock. Then all you need to do is find that computer.

However, if it isn't you yourself holding open the lock, then you will have network-based locks. It is possible using Resource Monitor to look at file locks, one of which would be the .LDB file in question. In the RM Locks display, you would see the Process ID of whatever process is holding the lock. If you use the Task Manager and look at processes (to show processes for ALL USERS), you could then find the ID and kill that process. If you do, that should release the file.

HOWEVER, when examining the RM Locks display, verify whether that same process is ALSO holding a lock on the .MDB or .ACCDB file as well, because in that case you have to be a bit more careful. The ideal case is .LDB locked but nothing else locked, because if you kill the process, you are done. If the database file is ALSO locked, it is less safe since there is a chance that some actions are still pending.

If you can ID the computer, though, you can find that PC and manually exit from Access there. I've done that more than once.

The ultimate "unlock" is to reboot your system, but that risks DB corruption so that ought to be a last-resort type of action.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:41
Hi. Are you talking about the lock for the FE or the BE?

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Doc Man... will take a look in Notepad and see if that gives any clues. I haven't looked at Resource Manager, so will do (nothing shows in Task Manager). And it isn't constant, can be ok for weeks, then play up. There isn't a BE, just one MDB file, but I do connect to it from another comp. It can tell me I can't edit anything if both are open... but the ldb file usually behaves. So I don't think it's that.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:41
There isn't a BE, just one MDB file, but I do connect to it from another comp.

Whoops... a non-split DB? If it is a monolithic DB and is shared, particularly by launching remotely for all users, there is where you have issues that can cause corruption or bad locking problems.

You can find several articles online in this forum about the perils of shared monolithic DBs. If you have not yet run into them, search for articles on the subject or ask us for more details.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:41
Whoops... a non-split DB? If it is a monolithic DB and is shared, particularly by launching remotely for all users, there is where you have issues that can cause corruption or bad locking problems.

You can find several articles online in this forum about the perils of shared monolithic DBs. If you have not yet run into them, search for articles on the subject or ask us for more details.
Here's one link I typically point people to:

How to properly split a database

Hope it helps...

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the advice... following up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom