Logging on problems (1 Viewer)

Timothyskyek

Local time
Today, 13:54
When i go to log on to my computer it logs on then immediately logs me off.. What can i do???

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:54
sounds like a virus?

Could be a dodgy switch,

try starting it in "safe mode"

Timothyskyek

Local time
Help with log on

yes i have tried to log on in safe mode. i did just remove a virus or attempted to. The virus was an open proxy and restricted me from multipliable applications when i was able to run my AVG and Norton it prompted that i restart to finish the procedure. upon restarting i was able to log on then it loaded my background and then logging it said logging off. No mater what i tried i can not log on to my computer. Thank you for your help.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:54
OK it looks like the virus is restarting itself, this is what I would do:

Log in in safe mode run AVG (I would have 2 anti-virus programs btw it can cause fault positives) - AVG shouldn't prompt you for a reboot btw.

Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and make sure there is nothing suspicious in there.

Go to Start > run and type msconfig check in both Services and Startup tabs and untick anything suspicious.

If you find something dodgy take note of the command path (if your confident you can delete it now but you can wait)

Again go to Start > run and type regedit and navigate to
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
and
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
you should only find one entry of default so delete anything else - WARNING if your not 100% sure ensure you backup your registry first (file > export)

Reboot and see what happens - if that has sorted it your can delete that suspicious exe file you found earlier.

This is essentially a manual virus removal process and should cover anything AVG would miss.

I would also check your task manager to see if anything is left thats suspicious and then search for the exe and delete it - again if your not sure be careful - you can always post them here and I (or anyone else of course) can take a look or search for it via Google.

I would also do a Windows repair (if you have full XP disk) to make sure the removal process has not corrupted any system files - very detailed instructions here (you shouldn't have to perform all the backup procedures but you can if this would make you feel more comfortable)

Timothyskyek

Local time
loggin on problems

it wont let me log in in any mode.. so i'm just going to wipe it. cant you please explain how to wipe my computer. thank you

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:54
Did the repair not work ?

If you want to blitz it boot with your XP disk in and instead of repairing go into the recovery console. You see an old style dos command, type format c:
once it's done type exit

Your system should reboot then follow the wizard (leave your XP disk in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom