long path in server (1 Viewer)

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Today, 01:15
Hello, because even the server name is long, and I will make the name of our folder and subfoler, so it could be long. My question is if the path to the server is like this:
\\abcyard.llt.ad.lltahsc.org\ PQRInventory\PQRInventory_Main\Pictures, Database_backend will be in PQRInventory_Main

Would it effect database performance?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I (personally) am not aware of any potential for the mere fact of your database residing on a "long path" to affect database performance.

However, I will say that if the path gets REALLY long, it can certainly affect functions like FileCopy, Scripting.Filesystemobject functions, and Name[As]. I have encountered this recently, where I'll get Path Not Found errors even though the path definitely, positively, exists. In these cases I have had to write extra code to map a drive letter on the fly (to shorten the path drastically), then unmap it at the end of the procedure.

That may be different than the question you're thinking of, but I find it worth mentioning on the "long path" topic.

hfsitumo2001

Local time
2 I (personally) am not aware of any potential for the mere fact of your database residing on a "long path" to affect database performance.

However, I will say that if the path gets REALLY long, it can certainly affect functions like FileCopy, Scripting.Filesystemobject functions, and Name[As]. I have encountered this recently, where I'll get Path Not Found errors even though the path definitely, positively, exists. In these cases I have had to write extra code to map a drive letter on the fly (to shorten the path drastically), then unmap it at the end of the procedure.

That may be different than the question you're thinking of, but I find it worth mentioning on the "long path" topic.
Actually, I do not have any intention to make it long, but first, the name of the server itself, is already long, then under that name there are many subfolder we can say, so for our section we make one folder, then since I have 2 databases, I need 2 folders, and under each folder there is a folder for pictures. So actually there are like 3 sub folders ahead of server name. I can make short name of each folder.

Thanks for any ideas

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Actually, I do not have any intention to make it long, but first, the name of the server itself, is already long, then under that name there are many subfolder we can say, so for our section we make one folder, then since I have 2 databases, I need 2 folders, and under each folder there is a folder for pictures. So actually there are like 3 sub folders ahead of server name. I can make short name of each folder.

Thanks for any ideas
I would suggest creating a separate share name for the immediate folder for your database. For example, you can reduce something like this:
\\ServerName\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4\Folder5
into something like this:
\\ServerName\ShareName
Hope that helps...

hfsitumo2001

Local time
I would suggest creating a separate share name for the immediate folder for your database. For example, you can reduce something like this:
\\ServerName\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\Folder4\Folder5
into something like this:
\\ServerName\ShareName
Hope that helps...
Are you saying under the 2nd share name we need to make a folder for each database?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Are you saying under the 2nd share name we need to make a folder for each database?
No, not a folder, a "share" or resource name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom