Low Battery Life (1 Viewer)

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Today, 17:30
Does anyone know the possible causes for this? I recently dropped an HP Pavillion laptop, where the battery port went bad on it. It simply had too many short in it, and would not recognize the input.

Now I've got an IBM thinkpad from Ebay and I only get aobut 20-30 min of battery life from it. The port seems to work fine, but I do see a bit of flicker with the indicator light sometimes when I plug the cord in. The other thing I notice is that it takes an unusually long time to power itself back up to 99% capacity when charging.

I assume it's either the battery itself or a short in either the port or the power cord. Are there any other factors that I could be missing?

The seller is shipping me a new battery on Monday, but I was hoping to get some insight from others here as to what else could possibly be the problem. The seller does not know anything about computers, which I found out in a very short time. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

HiTechCoach

Local time
Sounds like a bad battery. That is the first this I would look at.

Note: I do not keep my battery in my laptop. I only insert the battery when I need to run on battery power. This has greatly extended the life of my laptop batteries.

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
I'm getting a new one sent to me, as stated Boyd.

and I don't doubt that...I have heard, for any device really, that charging a battery when it's not completely dead lessens the life of the battery over time.

is there any truth to that? It seems to be for me!

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:30
I'm getting a new one sent to me, as stated Boyd.

and I don't doubt that...I have heard, for any device really, that charging a battery when it's not completely dead lessens the life of the battery over time.

is there any truth to that? It seems to be for me!
It is true for a NiCad.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 18:30
Modern laptop batteries are Lithium based batteries. Leaving them plugged in DOES NOT and CAN NOT affect the overall life of the battery. They have a cut off switch that prevents them from accepting any more power once they are almost fully charged (they are never fully charged or fully drained.) The problem that occurs is actually related to heat.

Batteries while plugged in generate more heat from the AC port. This heat over time shortens the life of the battery by speeding up the chemical breakdown of the battery, which occurs over time, regardless of how often it's plugged in or not. This breakdown is actually very gradual though, and unless you constantly leave both plugged in ALL the time and the laptop powered on and generating more heat, it's very unlikely you'll see much of change in the life of the battery.

Most laptop batteries have a life expectancy of 1 to 3 years naturally. The chemicals break down, it's just inevitable. It's also not particularly useful to have a second battery unless you are constantly away from a power source. Lithium battery chemicals break down over time, regardless of actual usage. They begin to deteriorate as soon as they are produced.

This thread if of particular good use for anyone who wants more information.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...et-upgrades/91846-notebook-battery-guide.html

singhpushpendra

Local time
Today, 15:30
Modern laptop batteries are Lithium based batteries. Leaving them plugged in does not affect the overall life of the battery. They have a cut off switch that prevents them from accepting any more power once they are almost fully charged . The problem that occurs is actually related to heat.
pushpendra singh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom