Macro Security / Locking DB (1 Viewer)

aussie92

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:34
Hey Guys -

So I have a database where on open, it determines who the user is and what level of access they have. If they are not listed as an "Admin" in the database, it removes the ability to view tables and basically locks down the database.

It works great! It even disables the bypass key (SHIFT) so sneaky users cannot change things.

Heres my problem... because it is an AutoExec macro, if the user turns off macros, it completely skips all of this and opens up an un-locked database! I have no idea how to fix this...:banghead:

any thoughts?

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 05:34
Heres my problem... because it is an AutoExec macro, if the user turns off macros, it completely skips all of this and opens up an un-locked database! I have no idea how to fix this...:banghead:

Or the person opens the DB from a directory not in the security trusted directory list and will not process code until Access is told to allow code execution.

Or the person holds down the shift key when starting the DB to prevent the Autoexec macro from running.

Or, or, or... ;)

aussie92

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:34
mdlueck.... the shift key thing is disabled, so thats not a problem... but I think your are trying to say there will always be a way to get around security? Or...?

Anyway... do you have any advice?

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Today, 05:34
but I think your are trying to say there will always be a way to get around security?

Bing! Bing! Bing!

With interpretive programming languages that are integrated within a free-standing application, it is very very hard to arrive at a true hardened application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom