Mail Merge Headache (1 Viewer)

PeteB

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
Hi Guys

Can anyone help with my mail merge headache?

I had planned to do a mail merge starting with a Word main document and an Access database query as the data source, then moving into Outlook as the mail handler.

In preparation, I created the Access query which filtered out all but the four fields of MemNumber, Title, LastName and e-mail address. Although the query contained multiple criteria, it was neither a parameter query nor an action query - its function was simply to identify members who had e-mail but who did not subscribe to the e-newsletter.

The problem arose when, from the Word 'Mailing' tab, choosing ‘Select Recipients/Use an Existing List’ the list of available objects presented did not include the filtering query.

Can anyone suggest the likely cause and a solution?

Your help would be much appreciated.

PeteB

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:53
What is the row source for your combo box/ listbox?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Hmm, mine only shows me queries and any local tables.?
You can also filter within the merge?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Pete

Why not use a Report in Access vice the Word Document?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As an alternative approach, have a look at Albert Kallal's super easy mail merge which is all controlled from Access.
A Web search will give lots of hits to this code. Very easy go use and works well

PeteB

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys. I'll see what I can make of all of the responses.
PeteB

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@PeteB
Can you post the SQL of the query that you wish to use as the source?

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:53
There is no SQL as the source. The question involved a compiled. Library that I could reference in my Access program. Thanks
John

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
There is no SQL as the source. The question involved a compiled. Library that I could reference in my Access program. Thanks
John
@Yianni ... I think you might have thought you were responding to another thread ...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:53
I think that Word cannot "see" queries that require Access to be loaded such as those that reference form fields. I personally don't like Mail Merge so I've attached a rudimentary example of Word automation that even shows how to embed a child table so you could use the concept to make something like an invoice where you have parent and child data. The description in the example tells you how you should probably implement the solution rather than using the example as is since it becomes tedious to have to hard code all the bookmark names. In the apps where I have had to automate Word, I've created cross reference tables to map fields to bookmarks by document. The xref defines the data types of fields so that numbers and dates can be formatted correctly.

Attachments

• SampleWordAutomation180206WithLetters.zip
    446.9 KB · Views: 181

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yeah that's kind of the road I was going down - and there are a few other things that OLEDB cannot interpret properly that might cause his original problem. Was hoping OP would post the query so we'd know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom