Make a required field conditional. (1 Viewer)

Rmaster2022

Local time
Today, 00:09
I have a form in which I have a check box to indicate whether a member is a ruling elder. Another field is a combo box with the names of churches. If the ruling elder box is checked, I want the church field to be required. I know very little VBA, so I copied one that I hoped would work:

Private Sub txtAuthorized_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
If Len(txtAuthorized & vbNullString) > 0 And Len(txtChurchCombo & vbNullString) = 0 Then
MsgBox "You need to choose a church!"
Cancel = True
txtChurchCombo.SetFocus
End If
End Sub

When I try it, I get the following message: Run-time error 2108: You must save the field before you execute the GoToControl action, the GoToControl method, or the SetFocus method.

What do I need to change?

To complicate matters, I have another before update event for the same form (There are other fields on the form) as follows (this does work!):

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
If Me.Dirty = True Then
If MsgBox("Do you want to save the changes for this record?", _
vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Save Changes?") = vbNo Then
Me.Undo
End If
End If
End Sub

How do I code both of these together to work on the same form.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 01:09
I usu put all required field checks in a IsValidForm(),
then test for it if they try to close the form ,

Code:
Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
if Not IsValidForm() then Cancel = true
End Sub

Public Function IsValidForm()
Dim vMsg
vMsg = ""
Select Case True
Case IsNull(txtAddr)
       vMsg = "Addr is missing"
   Case IsNull(txtPhone)
vMsg = "Phone is missing"
End Select
If vMsg <> "" Then MsgBox vMsg, vbCritical, kREQD
IsValidForm = vMsg = ""
End Function

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:09
Hi. You could try something like:
Code:

Cancel = True
    Me.Undo
ElseIf Me.CheckboxName = True AND Is Null(Me.ComboboxName) Then
    Cancel = True
    MsgBox "Please select a church.", vbInformation, "Info"
End If

End Sub
Hope that helps...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just FYI, the event sequence when you update a record and press the close button is:

beforeupdate
afterupdate
unload
close

Therefore, putting validation code in the Unload event is useless because that horse has already left the barn.

theDBguy's solution should work for you.

Rmaster2022

Local time
I get an error message: Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I get an error message: Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit
Did you remove your other code and just used the one I gave you? It sounds like you may have multiple code conflicting with each other.

Rmaster2022

Local time
I deleted the beforeupdate event, and typed the code back in. I tried the the form, and checked the authorized box. It did ask me if I wanted to save the changes. I responded yes. Then it informed me that I needed to choose a congregation, which I did. That's when I get the erro4r message. When I clicked help, it took me to a page that headlined: "

You tried to call Update or CancelUpdate or attempted to update a Field in a recordset without first calling AddNew or Edit.​

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I deleted the beforeupdate event, and typed the code back in. I tried the the form, and checked the authorized box. It did ask me if I wanted to save the changes. I responded yes. Then it informed me that I needed to choose a congregation, which I did. That's when I get the erro4r message. When I clicked help, it took me to a page that headlined: "

You tried to call Update or CancelUpdate or attempted to update a Field in a recordset without first calling AddNew or Edit.​

Try creating a simple form with minimum controls and just that one code and see if the problem persist. If so, you might consider posting a sample db with test data.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It is difficult enough to debug this way but it is impossible without seeing the code. Please post all the code in the procedure with the error and indicate which line fails --- every time. Don't just say I changed "a", repost. Thanks.

Rmaster2022

Local time
I created a new simpler form. This is the code in BeforeUpdate:

Option Compare Database

Cancel = True
Me.Undo
ElseIf Me.ElderAuthorizedPreside = True And IsNull(Me.ComboChurch) Then
Cancel = True
End If

End Sub

If I do check the "authorized" check box, AND select a church, it seems to work fine. However. If I check the checkbox, but do not select a church, I am asked if I want to make the change, then tells me to select a church, which I do, but when I leave that record, I get the error message: "Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit." When I click on help, it takes me to: "You tried to call Update or CancelUpdate or attempted to update a Field in a recordset without first calling AddNew or Edit."

I have a combobox in the form header I use to select a member's (person's) record, and in the detail section the two fields: a checkbox "Authorized," and a combo box to select a church. The only other event procedure is for the combobox to select a members record.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I created a new simpler form. This is the code in BeforeUpdate:

Option Compare Database

Cancel = True
Me.Undo
ElseIf Me.ElderAuthorizedPreside = True And IsNull(Me.ComboChurch) Then
Cancel = True
End If

End Sub

If I do check the "authorized" check box, AND select a church, it seems to work fine. However. If I check the checkbox, but do not select a church, I am asked if I want to make the change, then tells me to select a church, which I do, but when I leave that record, I get the error message: "Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit." When I click on help, it takes me to: "You tried to call Update or CancelUpdate or attempted to update a Field in a recordset without first calling AddNew or Edit."

I have a combobox in the form header I use to select a member's (person's) record, and in the detail section the two fields: a checkbox "Authorized," and a combo box to select a church. The only other event procedure is for the combobox to select a members record.
Perhaps it's time to upload a test db?

Rmaster2022

Local time
So, what is to be included in a test db? I'm warning you, my dbs aren't pretty!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There must be code in some other event that is causing the problem. The BeforeUpdate code looks OK.

Try posting the entire class module for the form. Otherwise, a db with the form and whatever it takes to run it.

Rmaster2022

Local time
I have attached a test db that has the form and I added some records. However, in this db when I check the checkbox "Authorized to Preside..." and do not choose a church, I don't get the message that I must choose a church.

Attachments

• testdb.accdb
    904 KB · Views: 177

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You are checking the wrong field. Shouldn't you be checking the Ruling Elder value?

Rmaster2022

Local time
You are checking the wrong field. Shouldn't you be checking the Ruling Elder value?
What I want is that if the "Authorized to Preside..." checkbox (txt authorized) is checked (true), then I want the church field (txtChurchCombo) to not be null, to become a required field. The church field to be conditionally required, if the "Authorized to Preside..." is checked.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is the church field defined as text? If it is, make sure that the AllowZeroLengthStrings property is set to No. The field might be a ZLS which visually is indistinguishable from null.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I have attached a test db that has the form and I added some records. However, in this db when I check the checkbox "Authorized to Preside..." and do not choose a church, I don't get the message that I must choose a church.
Hi. Sorry for the delay. Try your db now...

Attachments

• testdb (2).zip
    44.5 KB · Views: 210

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom