Making do (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:28
A few years ago I was traveling to somewhere and my connecting flight took me through Munich. It was 9am and there were Germans having tall steins of BEER. Who the HELL drinks beer that early and with breakfast?!?

The Germans do and they are on to something. My wife does not drink and making breakfast on the weekends is my job because she does all the meals during the week and she likes to sleep in.

So I took to having a lager while I prepare the eggs and bacon. If you have not tried it, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once - but please, do NOT use the poor excuse we Americans insist on calling beer. My personal favorite is Carlsberg Elephant.

Since my darling Missy is currently in the states, I have slacked off considerably. This morning I decided to go full bore...

BoC.jpg

Yeah, life is good...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:28
Woah, whats in that breakfast Mr Nautical?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Tater-tots seasoned to taste, 4 strips of smoked bacon and two eggs, sunny side up. I can HEAR myself getting fatter!

• Love
Reactions: Jon

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
When I was in the Merchant Navy, we used to have a beer with our opposite number after our watch.
8 - 12 was fine
12 - 4 was fine
4 - 8 was somehow frowned upon as it was considered breakfast time. :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Tater-tots seasoned to taste, 4 strips of smoked bacon and two eggs, sunny side up. I can HEAR myself getting fatter!
I've never heard of tater-tots before, but after googling, they do sound yummy. Are they a bit like hash browns? Are they an American invention?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I've never heard of tater-tots before, but after googling, they do sound yummy. Are they a bit like hash browns? Are they an American invention?
They're an american staple and yes like hash browns.

Personally I like to mash them up a little and put them in my waffle iron. Tot Waffles.
I was going to make pancakes this morning. I think I just changed my mind.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I will have to try them sometime. I presume a bit crispier than hash browns because of the higher surface area of fried to potato.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:28
Tater tots are merely repackaged smashed-up potatoes just like hash browns are merely repackaged shredded potatoes. Different shape, different form of repackaging, and generally cooked differently. I tend to not care for hash browns (which are often griddle-fried) and I can't tell you how long it has been since I've had tater tots (which are frequently oven-baked if bought from the freezer section of a grocery).

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, my day is shot. I could have sworn I had a bag of tater tots in the freezer.:(

I'll have to make do with home fries.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Currently there seems to be a shortage (as not available at all) of frozen Potatoes O'Brien at our local grocery stores. A grocery item that may have "died" from lack of customers buying it. Seems that frozen peas with with onions suffered this fate.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Seems that frozen peas with with onions suffered this fate.
The little ball onions? I used to like those.

Potatoes O'Brien/Home fries must be regional names for the same thing. I haven't been able to buy frozen diced peppers which I use in home fries for a couple years now.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The little ball onions? I used to like those.

Potatoes O'Brien/Home fries must be regional names for the same thing. I haven't been able to buy frozen diced peppers which I use in home fries for a couple years now.
Yup, little ball onions. Peas and onions in a delicious butter sauce. My wife, recently made some Potatoes O'Brien from scratch. Very good.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I make them all the time. It was just much easier when I had frozen peppers and less wasteful.

Since I no longer know what day it is , nor what time it is, I think I may try some of NG's "Side dish"

Guillem

Local time
Today, 10:28
A few years ago I was traveling to somewhere and my connecting flight took me through Munich. It was 9am and there were Germans having tall steins of BEER. Who the HELL drinks beer that early and with breakfast?!?

The Germans do and they are on to something. My wife does not drink and making breakfast on the weekends is my job because she does all the meals during the week and she likes to sleep in.

So I took to having a lager while I prepare the eggs and bacon. If you have not tried it, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once - but please, do NOT use the poor excuse we Americans insist on calling beer. My personal favorite is Carlsberg Elephant.

Since my darling Missy is currently in the states, I have slacked off considerably. This morning I decided to go full bore...

View attachment 80539

Yeah, life is good...
Beer is a gift from the gods !!!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:28
Beer is a gift from the gods !!!

Depends on the beer, but it no longer matters to me with my unhealthy liver. Funny thing about alcoholic beverages.

We get the name "wine" from French eau de vie - which means "water of life."

Oddly enough, we get "whiskey" from Gaelic uisgebeatha - which ALSO means "water of life."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom