managing date information between tables (1 Viewer)

roosn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:12
Hi

I am trying to create a database (Sql server back / Access Front) that will track components/parts fitted to machines, throughout the component/part life.

basically i have 3 tables

one table lists the components/parts with a unique part_id for each component/part serial number

the component/part will through its life have modifications and work done on it, and as such, this will change its part number

hence, i have a second table that records the part_id, part number and date of part number change (due to its modification)

also, the component/part will be fitted on different machines during its life

hence i have a third table that records the part_id, the machine (the part is fitted to), the date fitted, the date removed

what i want to be able to do is create a query that will tell me the part number of the component/part at the fitting and removal date.

i hear you ask, why not just add fields to the third table. well i am loading a lot of retrospective data, and i only want to have to change the part number history (second table) and let the db do the rest.

can any helpful person point me in the right direction. i would be most appreciative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom