Marking a thread Solved? (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 14:26
@Jon,

A member just mentioned that there does not appear to be any way to mark a thread Solved in here now?
From what I have Googled, it appears you need an add on? :-(

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There are so many different add-ons, it is hurting my brain (and pocket!). There are "Best Answer" add-ons, "Solved", tags, all sorts. Not 100% sure on the best solution yet, and it may take a few weeks to decide on something.

Oh, I just noticed a Save Draft option in the reply box toolbar. Seen that?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Would this do the job, though it states compatible with 1.x?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It is not compatible. Also, I do not want to add unmaintained add-ons, since they can add hacker vulnerabilities to the site.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
This is getting fun spending Jons money. 💰💰💰
Yes, it seems you get a basic package and then have to have addons?

I have looked at some of the wordpress website packages in the past, and they did seem to include a lot of basic functionality by default.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Xenforo has a ton of great functionality out of the box. But there are also tons of add-ons. With vBulletin, the add-ons tended to be free, but with Xenforo, many are paid options. But that doesn't really matter, because when people are remunerated for their work, you can often get a higher quality product and more choice.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Oh, I just noticed a Save Draft option in the reply box toolbar. Seen that?
I mentioned it yesterday. Process seems to be the draft stays there until you either delete it or post as a reply. You can't save a draft and do a reply to the same thread. However it seems to be the default position - if you start writing a response, go away, close the tab whatever (haven't checked if you logout) then the draft remains

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Handy in any case, especially if you get a crash or whatever.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There are "Best Answer" add-ons, "Solved", tags, all sorts.
as a fairly frequent responder, I do find the solved flag useful if only to not go there, but sometimes the solution is buried way down the thread - so in that respect 'best answer' is probably better - not sure if the post can be flagged with something like 'best answer found' or similar. Then again, I think most threads asking for help on this forum receive a solution, it's just the OP doesn't click 'Solved'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom