Meathead's BBQ (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:21
I looked thru 6 pages of watercooler threads and didn't find one to add this to, so here goes with my own. We're doing bbq ribs today, and when I pulled my baggie of pre-mixed dry rub I thought, why don't I post a link to what I think is the best bbq science/technique/recipes that I've ever found? This site seems to have it all and you don't have to join anything to see what's there. Sure there's plenty of opportunity to buy recipe books or whatever, but it's very unobtrusive - no annoying popups and the like (not that I remember - it could be my browser settings).

So far, my favourites are the Memphis dry rub and Kansas City Classic BBQ Sauce recipe (but I cut back on the brown sugar).
Everything you could ever want to know on the subject seems to be here, so if you find yourself eating in a lot more because of the pandemic it might be of interest to you. One rack of back ribs going into the pressure cooker soon...

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:21
What we have is called "Instant Pot" (brand name). It depends on the amount you're putting in, but I give it about 25 minutes for one rack once the pressure is up (the cooker lets you know when that is).
I remove the membrane (easy with a paper towel), apply salt and a dry rub and put them back in the fridge for a couple of hours. I let them stand at room temp for 30 minutes before placing in the cooker. Add 1/2 cup of 50/50 mix of cider vinegar and water, ribs sit on a rack which elevates them slightly. First time I used it, I gave them about 35 minutes and it was too much. I couldn't even get them out in one piece. You've heard the expression "fall off the bone"? Well there is such a thing as being too tender. They were a pain to bbq. So partial cook, remove, baste with sauce and bbq. The idea is to caramelize/darken the sauce and just finish the cooking a bit. They should be pretty much edible when they come out of the pc, but you wouldn't because they're not too attractive looking, nor would they have much in the way of that bbq taste. If you release the pc pressure and they look well under done, then I would have to consider whether or not to rebuild the pressure and add time, or finish of on the grill. So far, that hasn't happened.

Does that help?
P.S. I like the pc instead of the oven because the oven is just a dry heat. The steam and pressure effect on food is amazing in terms of infusing moisture and rapid cooking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom