Medical checkups (1 Viewer)

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:16
I had a top and end checkup during the week - colonoscopy and gastroscopy. I've reached an age where medical advice is for routine checks - annually for gastroscopy and three yearly for colonoscopy. I've had polyps removed from both ends in the past.

Preparation for the gastroscopy is easy - fasting from some time the day before. The other one requires a good clean of the pipes. A week before, avoid certain things nuts, muesli. Day-2 is a white diet (most white foods but not all) including white meat, eggs, potatos, white bread (low fibre), milk coffee/tea. I had eggs on toast and broiled chick breast (keeping the broiling fluid for the next day).

Day-1 is clear fluid diet. Chicken noodle soup without the noodles, my chicken broth, sports elecrolizer drinks, lemonade but also including black coffee/tea. It's also necessary to have about 2 pints of some sort of super laxative at prescribed times over the day and stay very close to a bathroom. The stuff is super effective. Billy Connolly described his (exaggerated) experience here.

On Day0 I had to take another half a pint of the laxative at 3.45am and any other clear fluids if I wanted but nil by mouth from 4.45am, for check in the hospital at 7.45am. Into theatre at 8.30am and vaguely conscious in recovery around 10.00am.

The nursing staff say for the next 24 hours, no driving or operating machinery and making crucial decisions. My wife tells me that I am inclined on the ride home to make some majestic pronouncements all of which are hilarious.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:16
I had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago, never had the gastroscopy but I hear they go in both ends and meet in the middle. :oops: Good luck with your results!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:16
It's also necessary to have about 2 pints of some sort of super laxative at prescribed times over the day and stay very close to a bathroom.

I think laxative is based on mineral oil, in other words it's basically your car engine oil!

About 3 years ago my late mother had to go for a colonoscopy. I was staying with her to help her with doctor's visits and the like.

I didn't realise at the time, I only worked it out later, but she had been hording medicines and in particular laxatives.

I can only surmise that she started taking large quantities of laxatives about a week or so before the colonoscopy.

She had been in the toilet for quite some time. The doorbell sounded, and as I walked up the hallway corridor to answer the door, I noticed this horrible smell!

One of my mum's friends was at the door, she has come round to get a lift to choir practise. I didn't know about the choir practice as mum hadn't told me!

I found myself in a very awkward situation. I couldn't let her come in because of the smell and I just didn't know what to do! She asked me were we ready? I just said no, mum's not well, and slammed the door in her face!

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Not a bad idea to get your PSA level checked also, assuming you are male and over 50 ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:16
I've been lucky with regard to colonoscopy. I started at the indicated start time based on guidelines from the American Medical Association. My last four c-scopes were absolutely clean, no polyps. I've also had an endoscope to check for varices, which is varicose veins of the throat. Didn't fully understand why they were checking at the time, probably a digestive issue, but I was clear there, too - and no upper GI polyps. I'm now 74, and next year will be my last scheduled c-scope. After 75, if you have no positive signs, they figure you'll live long enough to not care.

Gotta say, the last couple of times they used propofol, and MAN that stuff knocks you cold. No pain, no undue memories, and once it wears off, you are clear headed - usually about 8-12 hours later.

Just ran through my six-month poke-n-prod. PSA was well within limits. Most of my liver functions were in the normal range, only one out of range and that is because I'm known to have Non-Alcoholic Steato-Hepatitis (NASH = fatty liver). But my gastro guy and my internal medicine guy agree that none of my readings is worth getting worked up. In fact, my cholesterol is slightly LOW. To be honest, I never thought I would ever say that because in the past it has been high.

At least some of the good numbers come from the fact that every day when the weather and my schedule permit it, I walk about 3 miles. Lately I've been able to do the distance in 1 hour 5-8 minutes. Can't run because of knee issues - they can't take high impact. But moderate walking has been approved by my orthopedics guy.

I've got one last six-month stop, with my cardiologist. He's not likely to be bothered by my lab work either.

As to the issue of bathroom problems, when my liver WAS acting up, the bathroom was my friend and constant companion. Eventually as things started to heal up a bit, my bathroom and I resumed a closer-to-normal relationship. But I do remember that when you have a funky liver, there is a smell that permeates the air.

I know my wife loves me 'cause even that smell didn't drive her away. Though I wish I had invested in stock for air freshener companies, cause we bought that stuff by the case for a while.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yeah I was surprised at how easy the colonoscopy was.
At the end you lay there being encouraged by the nurse to deal expeditiously & without hesitation to all flatulence.
My wife told me that I seemed to do so repeatedly, loudly, & with seeming great gusto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom