Solved Message box appears at designated time? (1 Viewer)

db-noob

Local time
Today, 06:15
Hello, it's me again. Sorry :LOL:

There's a few things I want to ask about, but I suppose this topic will be first. I searched for my topic on these forums, but didn't find anything. If I missed a thread, please point it out. Thanks to theDBguy, I added a button on my database's main menu (on the front-end) to backup the back-end. This will make it easier for the database's primary users to do backups themselves if I'm no longer working for the company. Currently, I'm doing the backups. I even added (stole) a button that opens up the directory where the BE backups are stored, so the users can see when the last backup was made.

So my question, is there a way to have a message box pop up on the user's screen, let's say at 5:00 PM, to remind the user it's time to click that backup button? I know there's auto-backups every time you close the db or using something like Task Scheduler, but I'm worried if a backup happens when another user is in the middle of editing/saving a record on a form. I don't have the skills (and I clearly don't have skills of a dba or programmer) for something so advanced. To me, anyway. Plus, the company's IT guy isn't in-house.

Let me know if it's possible and I'll check back in on Monday since I'll be clocking out around 5/5:30 PM MDT today. In case anyone replies before I leave.

Cheers!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:15
Hi. As far as I know, if you're using the backup routine I recommended, you don't have to worry about if users are currently using the BE and making changes when you run the backup.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:15
i use Goodsync, just Set and Forget, it will backup anything without being worried if you actually missed to backup.

db-noob

Local time
Hi. As far as I know, if you're using the backup routine I recommended, you don't have to worry about if users are currently using the BE and making changes when you run the backup.
Sounds good!

i use Goodsync, just Set and Forget, it will backup anything without being worried if you actually missed to backup.
Is this something I can set on one machine (which is connected to a shared network) without having to install on others? Can it be used to backup to something like a flash drive?

db-noob

Local time
As it turns out, the external IT department does daily backups of the server. So, I guess this thread is solved? Thank you to Dbguy and arnelgp for replying!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:15
As it turns out, the external IT department does daily backups of the server. So, I guess this thread is solved? Thank you to Dbguy and arnelgp for replying!
Hi. That's great news! Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom