Microsoft Office Licensing for "Terminal Server" (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:04
What is the cheapest option, which will result in a copy of MS Office that contains at least Access Excel and Outlook, which is >= 2007 version (or the equivalent), (I am fine with Desktop, doesn't need to be 365 in fact I prefer to avoid 365 if possible, but am open)........which will work on a machine that Office--whether correctly or incorrectly--deems a "Terminal Server", thus giving rise to the error "This copy of Microsoft Office cannot be used on a Terminal Server"

?

Priorities:
  1. Cheapest (only one person logs onto this virtual private server at a time - this is NOT being installed in multiple places - just one place)
  2. Equivalent of 2007 or greater
  3. Has the 3 basics.
I can go peruse Microsoft's fun and easy (ha ha) licensing web pages, but because I already know they are all going to be heavily designed towards pushing me to 365 subscriptions, I wanted to ask here instead, in case someone can point me to a workable option that may be cheaper, and may not be the "current thing" MS is pushing on their license page.

PS- I did notice some websites like this one, but their advice relates to a registry path involving "click to run" which doesn't apply to me - as I only installed a regular, desktop version of MS Office 2010. (And, it worked perfectly for 6 months, then suddenly decided to return this error for no reason I can determine).

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:04
Does anyone else find it a bit disturbing that the Contact Us link in tiny font at the extreme bottom of this web page leads nowhere except a Bing search engine page!?? I mean come on Microsoft, I know you're trying to make it challenging but ... this may be too much!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 00:04
Just tell them. That is what I do when I find an incorrect link on a site.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:04
another link for you

and another

which says at the bottom:
  • For all other versions of Office Click-to-Run, install an edition of the Office program or suite that uses a volume license key.
so implies you can use 2007 or later, but need a volume license key

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 08:04
Does anyone else find it a bit disturbing that the Contact Us link in tiny font at the extreme bottom of this web page leads nowhere except a Bing search engine page!?? I mean come on Microsoft, I know you're trying to make it challenging but ... this may be too much!

If you mouse over the link, it seems to be https://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=2028325

I changed the location on the far left side of the screen to Korea & Japan and clicked Contact Us link.
Both opened a chat system to talk with a help assistant.
I didn't go further and I don't know if it was an actual human or a bot. But the link seemed to be OK.

So maybe the linkid for US version have changed and because the page doesn't exists, a bing page is shown.
If you can find a way to report it, they may correct it in no time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom