Microsoft Office Licensing for "Terminal Server" (1 Viewer)

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 05:26
For that price, the product is pirated. A legitimate perpetual licence for Office runs around $400. These things are NEVER discounted.
If so how come pckeys.uk have managed to openly sell a range of software products online for years?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:26
Microsoft has not elected to pursue the pirating. Maybe one of the MVP's will forward the information to MS

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 21:26
If so how come pckeys.uk have managed to openly sell a range of software products online for years?
Some sites skirt the edges of legitimacy and manage to fly under the radar. I suspect one method is to sell "licenses" based on a Volume License
for example.

Caveat Emptor.

Cotswold

Local time
Whatever.

They claim to have operated since 2014 and have a trading address. They are contactable which is more than you can say about many companies on the internet. Including Amazon who also sell discounted Office software but from my experience Amazon will refuse to refund for non-working items. PCKeys Uk also claim that their customer list includes include Mercedes, JP Morgan, Blackrock, Sky, KPMG, Morgan Stanley etc. So what is the problem?

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
PCKeys Uk also claim that their customer list includes include Mercedes, JP Morgan, Blackrock, Sky, KPMG, Morgan Stanley etc. So what is the problem?
That's the one I'm familiar with, I think they are a sponsor on Britec

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:26
So what is the problem?
They may be legitimate resellers. But you can't buy software that retails for 179 pounds for 28.95. They may be selling volume licenses individually which I'm pretty sure is illegal.

MS doesn't have good license control. If they did, no computer in China would work because they all operate off of pirated versions of Windows and probably Office too. How did this happen? Easy, The Chinese version of Windows was developed in China by a team of Chinese developers. The Chinese have no respect for intellectual property.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Here's another one that's been up for years, pretty sure Microsoft is aware of it.

Cotswold

Local time
............which I'm pretty sure is illegal.
If this is the case then Amazon are also operating illegally. Amazon sellers are offering copies from £75 down to as low as £25, or around 20% less than PCKeys.

Amazon are obsessive in knowing everything about everyone and will continually assess products sold in order to ascertain if it can also profitably sell the same product directly. Amazon, it has been suggested, will make it their business to know everything about the sellers. From financial down to their shoe size, which supermarket they shop at, the cars they drive and what property they own. They will know from where, and how much has been paid by the sellers on their website for the products they sell. As well as their profit margin. In much the same way as they obsessively compile as much pointless data on buyers as they can.

So Amazon, the company that repeatedly claims to be a responsible, reliable and honest supplier by Pat's implication are also selling illegal software. One thing we don't know is how many of the sellers of Office software on Amazon are actually front companies directly owned by Amazon.

So when Amazon are only selling Office at list price then I'll maybe take the same view as Pat on PCKEYS and not deal with them.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Whilst I understand all the reasons for not using the 365 subscription model with its monthly updates, there are also positive reasons for running 365. These include new features such as
a) VBA project signing
b) new Edge browser control

Whilst the new feature list is shorter than we'd all like, nevertheless these are important benefits for some developers.
In addition, purchasing 365 is normally far cheaper than buying an 'official' retail version, even if you build in the cost of buying several years worth of subscriptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom