Military being forced to take the vaccine (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 15:58
I cannot believe our country is forcing the military to either take the vaccine or be court-martialed. This may even involve prison time. Where did medical ethics go? Forcing people to take a vaccine or go to prison?

Out of all active-duty military of the United States, exactly 26 people have died from COVID. I know what you're thinking: "No way! There has to be tons more to justify doing this. That's not the impression I got from CNN, NPR, etc".

Nope. Just 26 deaths and we're forcing military to take a vaccine or be dishonorably discharged from the military: They MUST obey.

Straight from the Department of Defense's website:

1626190050210.png

Now, let's think logically here. Obviously, their true motivation isn't preventing deaths from COVID-19. We can see that now.

What do you suppose could be the only other apparent motivation for wanting to separate out those who do not wish to get vaccinated?

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:58
Obviously, their true motivation isn't preventing deaths from COVID-19. We can see that now.
Not sure I understand that logic. Why would they not want to prevent any number of deaths and serious illnesses if they can?
IMHO that would only be true if you had figures that showed that the vaccine had killed more people than the virus had.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is this new? My daughter is in the Air Force and they were not forcing people to get vaccinated. I don't see anything in a brief search that indicates that's changed, though apparently it is being bandied about.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Is this new? My daughter is in the Air Force and they were not forcing people to get vaccinated. I don't see anything in a brief search that indicates that's changed, though apparently it is being bandied about.
Not effective for a couple months yet. (Crazy - since Covid is far receded - and will be even more by then!)

Stars and Stripes - Report: Army to make COVID vaccines mandatory as early as Sept. 1

Researchers found 19 myocarditis events from the vaccine side effects out of 436000.
That's 0.00004357798

Covid deaths out of all active duty military:
That's 0.00001857142

That was just for Bob :)

Since Bob thinks that any drastic restriction or mandate on the public is justified as long as it doesn't actually cause more deaths than it prevents (which I know, of course, he doesn't really think, because applied to any everyday thing like driving or cooking it would have silly results - but I'm willing to take his word that he really believes that, out of civility and b/c it's, admittedly, subjective).

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can't say that I'm a fan, but I'm not prepared to cry wolf either. What do you believe the "only other apparent motivation" is?

I know readiness is a major concern for the military, and at my daughter's base they jumped through a lot of hoops to keep their covid numbers down/readiness up. Many were working a week on/week off schedule. If anybody tested positive anyone who had been in contact with them recently was quarantined for 2 weeks. Many other things. It's possible that these steps had begun to wear down morale and readiness. I'll ask her.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 18:58
As a retired veteran, I will weigh in. No matter what I believe, when you agree to join the military, there are certain civil liberties you forgo. As a member, you are required to be battle-ready at all times. There were even some cases where a 2nd degree sun-burn was an offense, especially if it was alcohol induced. The military's stance is that if you do not get vaccinated, you put yourself and others in danger.

Of course, there are cases where you are excused - illness and pregnancy are two that come to mind.

Think it's unfair? Get out AFTER you have fulfilled your obligation to serve (not my attitude, theirs). The flu vaccine was mandatory too but I was able to dodge it for my last ten years of service. When they tried to force me to take the anthrax vaccine, I fought it until they eventually decided it was just too much of a hassle to get me to comply.

The good 'ole days

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
When they tried to force me to take the anthrax vaccine, I fought it until they eventually decided it was just too much of a hassle to get me to comply.
I'm glad you did - a number of people are on lifetime disability for the injuries suffered from that vaccine.

I like the way you worded your post, and - specifically as such - I do not disagree with you. From the perspective of "is this legal?", the answer of course is "Yes - the agreement between the military and a serving member requires absolute obedience on the part of the member".

So my concern isn't a matter of "Are they allowed to do this?" - sort of thing, but rather, in the realm of the remaining (still very legitimate, I think) angle, which is just "Is this a decent thing to make them do" - sort of thing.

So I think you make a valid point, but (IMO), it doesn't really address or resolve the is-this-a-good/fair-idea angle, although I agree with your point as to the "is this legal, can they do this" angle.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I remember reading early in the COVID-19 outbreak how a naval vessel had a number of sailors with COVID-19. Say the least that had to affect day to day operations. Fortunately they were not involved in a conflict.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom