Modernizing the Access User Experience (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 10:01
Microsoft MVPs and other Insiders,
Is there any Scuttlebutt from the Temple in Redmond concerning an overhaul for the interface. Every year we watch the web based tool leave us further and further behind.

I'm too old start all over. I guess management, or the pastures, is all that left for us dinosaurs.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:01
Not sure about rumors, but recent UI changes include the modern chart, new linked table manager, sortable property sheet, improved query designer, and new SQL editor ( to mention a few).

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:01
Not sure about rumors, but recent UI changes include the modern chart, new linked table manager, sortable property sheet, improved query designer, and new SQL editor ( to mention a few).

Is the new SQL editor out yet?
I haven't seen anything and I'm on an office 365 full subscription.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've heard nothing about new SQL editor either (O365).
I have a feeling M$oft considers Navigation forms/controls as modernizing techniques for user interfaces.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I know there is a new one on the cards, and that it is due out Soon

1630078550577.png

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I've heard nothing about new SQL editor either (O365).
I have a feeling M$oft considers Navigation forms/controls as modernizing techniques for user interfaces.
From a Users point of view, what we build is extremely dated. The whole change the form on the fly thing, the whole drag elements around the screen, even something that should have been available 20 years ago, fields that can grow or can shrink in sub forms.

The list goes on. We have at out disposal tools that can create enterprise systems. But to the average user, their phone has more advanced features.

I use Keep Notes on my phone, at my desk, on my tablet, and the laptop. why you ask. Because a tool that i have written a 100 thousand lines of code for, doesn't have the capability to do some thing as simple as that. And oh yeah,click and drag to reorder.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
What is a sortable property sheet?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ebo Quanseh left his Access role soon after the March presentation.
At DevCon back in April, it was announced that all developments have been re-prioritised with integration with MS Dataverse now taking most of the development time.
As a result, the new browser control and SQL Monaco editor may well still be several months away

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What is a sortable property sheet?
The property sheet seems to most of us to be in random order so as the list gets longer, it becomes more difficult to find what you are looking for. Sorting alphabetically at least helps if you know the name of what you are looking for. Sorting by logical grouping also makes sense.
This feature was actually promised to be in 2007 at a meeting I attended in Redmond in early 2006 where the dev team previewed Access for three days to a select group of individuals.
At DevCon back in April, it was announced that all developments have been re-prioritised with integration with MS Dataverse now taking most of the development time.
Who does MS poll when asking for priorities? It certainly isn't MVP's or other actual heavy users. There was almost a riot in the room back in 2006 when the team told us about multi-value fields AND that they were hiding the table where they would be stored!!!! I have never, ever had anyone say - gee, I can't wait until Access can integrate with DataVerse. Unless you work in Corporate America, chances are you don't even know what DataVerse is. This is just another useless "feature" that some punk thinks is cool and so we must want it right? It will probably be along the lines of SharePoint. If you don't have x level of O365 for y dollars, you can't use it anyway:( Forget about the things we've been asking for for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS. And the old bugs don't get fixed because they are so old we've all created work-arounds and MS doesn't want to break those. They are already created 3 (maybe 4) stupid Web apps all because we say - "we want Access to be able to link to databases over the web" and they hear - "we want a web version of Access". A web version of Access isn't Access and there is no conversion path so everything starts from scratch with a new tool. If we wanted to develop web pages, there are dozens of tools to facilitate that. We don't need Access.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
- gee, I can't wait until Access can integrate with DataVerse.
If I understand it correctly, it will allow Access to connect to tables stored in a cloud environment. This will be music to my ears!

Edit:
Unless you work in Corporate America, chances are you don't even know what DataVerse is. This is just another useless "feature" that some punk thinks is cool and so we must want it right? It will probably be along the lines of SharePoint. If you don't have x level of O365 for y dollars, you can't use it anyway:(
I should have read your entire post before responding!

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
They are already created 3 (maybe 4) stupid Web apps all because we say - "we want Access to be able to link to databases over the web" and they hear - "we want a web version of Access". A web version of Access isn't Access and there is no conversion path so everything starts from scratch with a new tool. If we wanted to develop web pages, there are dozens of tools to facilitate that. We don't need Access.
Way wrong answer. They don't have to call it Access, but is should have the exact conventions. It should be based on VBA and just as simple to hook up to any cloud database. Or, at least, the very least, make a good solution that will link SQLs together so we can develop seamless cloud and desktop apps. Users should be able to use Access in a browser.

We do have more option lately as the technology for remote desktop has improved. Band width is higher and the cost have come down. Still, to ignore the greater demand for Cloud Services, and to completely ignore it, is about like Kodak loosing the race to digital, or Microsoft loosing the phone wars. The biggest losers here are the developers that spent their entire careers loyal to Access.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
If I understand it correctly, it will allow Access to connect to tables stored in a cloud environment. This will be music to my ears!
Dataverse integration was the main part of the Access team update session at DevCon in April.
Unfortunately that video has not yet been released publicly but the screenshot below from that session gives an outline of what this entails:

1630354267862.png

For more info about Dataverse (Common Data Service), see also :
Microsoft Dataverse | Microsoft Power Platform
What is Common Data Service (CDS) and why it is important for you if you use Power Apps or Power BI? - RADACAD

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The property sheet seems to most of us to be in random order so as the list gets longer, it becomes more difficult to find what you are looking for. Sorting alphabetically at least helps if you know the name of what you are looking for. Sorting by logical grouping also makes sense.
This feature was actually promised to be in 2007 at a meeting I attended in Redmond in early 2006 where the dev team previewed Access for three days to a select group of individuals.

Who does MS poll when asking for priorities? It certainly isn't MVP's or other actual heavy users. There was almost a riot in the room back in 2006 when the team told us about multi-value fields AND that they were hiding the table where they would be stored!!!! I have never, ever had anyone say - gee, I can't wait until Access can integrate with DataVerse. Unless you work in Corporate America, chances are you don't even know what DataVerse is. This is just another useless "feature" that some punk thinks is cool and so we must want it right? It will probably be along the lines of SharePoint. If you don't have x level of O365 for y dollars, you can't use it anyway:( Forget about the things we've been asking for for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS. And the old bugs don't get fixed because they are so old we've all created work-arounds and MS doesn't want to break those. They are already created 3 (maybe 4) stupid Web apps all because we say - "we want Access to be able to link to databases over the web" and they hear - "we want a web version of Access". A web version of Access isn't Access and there is no conversion path so everything starts from scratch with a new tool. If we wanted to develop web pages, there are dozens of tools to facilitate that. We don't need Access.

I hate to sound like a broken record (especially saying something roundly despised by many on AWF), but this goes back to things like Power Apps--one of the primary use of Microsoft Dataverse as a back end.

My viewpoint is, Microsoft isn't asking Access developers' opinion about Power Apps. They have already decided Power Apps (and other things like that) will become the next major low-code development tool, and they are not about to ask the non-adopters' permission for it..

That may sound harsh (and isn't meant to reflect my feelings on it, but rather, my guess as to Microsoft's), but may also be largely true.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The problem at MS is that sometimes the children are in power and sometimes it's the adults. When the children are in power, their development is all about new and shiny things. Access old, who cares about Access. It should die. The web is everything. When the adults are in power, focus is more on productivity. They realize that not everything should be done via the internet and that they have in their control the best, most productive tool available today to build a certain class of applications and the need for those applications isn't going anywhere.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Users should be able to use Access in a browser.
They can do that with RDS or Citrix without making ANY changes to the Access app. Microsoft has other products aimed at power users such as PowerApps. The problem is that they require infrastructure which small companies cannot afford.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I do agree with the last few posts, well-said. The whole "not everything needs to/should be web-based" is one of those, "Say it again!" statements. I agree.

Haven't really gotten into Power suite with my side-clients, so don't know much about the licensing terms.
Suppose I should be glad my bread and butter is still corporate world, where we awake each morning and are told what oxygen we shall breathe that day, just about.

I have a feeling that the cost structure will continue to evolve, as Microsoft's decisions seem dumb sometimes--but I doubt they are dumb enough to completely abandon the entirety of the world's smaller business clients, as it's too significant to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom